Unsuccessful Ooth hatching??

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaManda

Reaction score
I have 6 fertile ooths and the first one that one of my females laid about 2 months ago appears to have hatched a few nymphs last night....but they died. They are suspended from their ooth, but never really unfolded. What does this mean? This is my first "homegrown" ooth to hatch, and the ooth I bought hatched hundreds of nymphs in a matter of a couple hours without any problems. Does this mean I won't have any survivors from this ooth??

maybe the humidity was low...
I mist the cage about every other day...sometimes every 3 if I get busy...would that make them die upon emerging? Or they were the only 3 with half a chance, and didn't make it? The rest are lost causes?

Should I be spraying them directly? I'd read no, but if spraying the inside of the tank wasn't enough, maybe I should??

Thanks for your help!

I'd say watch your temp and humidity. If you've got foam or towels as a substate, just spray those - they'll hold the humidity better.

What's your setup look like...? Can you post a pic...? Might help.

If your average RH is mostly low where you live, then every 3 days is way too low especially with a hatching.

Yep, you might want to check your humidity/temp. The failed hatching doesn't mean you have no hope however. Sometimes some will hatch out early. I've also had ooths hatch out in halves so I would give the ooth another couple weeks before calling it a dud.

I live in an area where the winter RH is about 15 and spray my ooths once a day. I often laugh at myself as I do so. The various mantids that live on the southern US border from Tucson west to San Diego county, (where the ocean increases the humidity), lay ooths that have both a low daily humidity (20RH and less) and as few as three or four rainy episodes all winter, yet, come spring, they hatch like any other ooth. These include Stagmomantis limbata, S. californica and several ground mantises. What kind of ooth are you hatching, BTW? I would guess, Chinese, which often explodes and yields almost all of its nymphs at once but can dribble a few, day after day.

As for getting ooths wet, what do you think happens to them in the wild when it rains? :D

I've got Europeans...I'm in Vancouver Wa, so I assume my humidity is pretty decent. I had thought about them being wet in the wild, especially here, and I suppose the major difference is the wind/drying factor and maybe sunlight to keep them from molding???

As for my setup, they are in a tall 7 gallon glass tank, screen top, sticks and plant material, seagrass back wall, and paper towel substrate. (I've been spraying the towels, seagrass, and very occasionally the ooths directly) Camera's at the office, so can't post pic now.

Thanks for your help guys!!

I've got Europeans...I'm in Vancouver Wa, so I assume my humidity is pretty decent. I had thought about them being wet in the wild, especially here, and I suppose the major difference is the wind/drying factor and maybe sunlight to keep them from molding???

As for my setup, they are in a tall 7 gallon glass tank, screen top, sticks and plant material, seagrass back wall, and paper towel substrate. (I've been spraying the towels, seagrass, and very occasionally the ooths directly) Camera's at the office, so can't post pic now.

Thanks for your help guys!!
Well, that explains things! The ooths of the European mantis, Mantis oratorio, go into suspended animation after they are laid. This is called diapause and prevents the nymphs of this northerly species from hatching on a warm, Indian summer day and then perishing with the next cold snap. The diapause is "broken' by cold, so feel free to let yours overwinter in a paper bag or whatever, in a sheltered, predator-free spot until the spring. Then, bring them back indoors to hatch. Let us know how this works!

O'K', now you can help me. Go to the thread labelled Traveller, look at the pic of my grand niece and say how cute she looks. I shall cut and paste it into my next Email to her. Thank you.

Well, that explains things! The ooths of the European mantis, Mantis oratorio, go into suspended animation after they are laid. This is called diapause and prevents the nymphs of this northerly species from hatching on a warm, Indian summer day and then perishing with the next cold snap. The diapause is "broken' by cold, so feel free to let yours overwinter in a paper bag or whatever, in a sheltered, predator-free spot until the spring. Then, bring them back indoors to hatch. Let us know how this works!

O'K', now you can help me. Go to the thread labelled Traveller, look at the pic of my grand niece and say how cute she looks. I shall cut and paste it into my next Email to her. Thank you.
So..How come I've had a few emerge if they haven't gone through diapause?? Not sure what "suspended animation" means. :unsure: The ooths are attached to the screen on the top of their cage...would I just gently pull them off?

So..How come I've had a few emerge if they haven't gone through diapause?? Not sure what "suspended animation" means. :unsure: The ooths are attached to the screen on the top of their cage...would I just gently pull them off?
Yes, several members have reported a similar emergence of European nymphs that weren't chilled. Yes, they should come off fairly easily.

There is a semi technical explanation of diapause and "suspended animation" at post #27, here: http://mantidforum.n...20

You will find a fuller explanation in any insect physiology text.

Oops! It looks as though, in all that diapause excitement, you overlooked making a comment on the Traveler post. Take your time. I shall be back on Thursday :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes it just happens even if conditions are just right. ;)

Latest posts