URGENT! Found wild mantis in my yard with an injured front claw

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdwardScissorMantis

Reaction score
I found a praying Mantis in my yard with an injured claw. I am concerned about the hurricane that is supposed to hit so I decided to keep him inside until it's over since he's already injured. He is very active and can fly but has had a lot on trouble catching the crickets I have offered him. Should I release him? I'm worried he won't be able to look after himself since he only has one functioning claw. Please help! I am planning on using smaller food items to see if he can eat those although the crickets are small they're not pin heads. The Mantis himself is about four inches long. Debating on if I should go ahead and release him or not thanks!

Up to you... he could probably figure out how to survive out in the wild but it would be very difficult for him. You can always hand feed him until he gets strong enough to eat by himself. Stay safe from the hurricane! We are all praying for Florida!

I know this is late but I think mantids can usually hunt and survive with only one arm.  Hand feeding or smaller prey could help if you're concerned though.  Hope yours ended up doing okay!

Latest posts