Very old mantis tips?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightberry

Reaction score
Searching for me lost birthday cake ice cream in t
Err... Hi, sorry if this is the wrong section. I don't come here often.

I have a very old adult male budwing mantis named Cat. Or at least I think hes old, I remember reading somewhere that male mantids have an average lifespan of six months or so but I could be wrong. I have had Cat since Feburary, and he was probably almost a month or so old before that. He is really weak now, and he somehow lost his feet things that his claws had AND half of one of his front legs. He barely seems to see crickets until they are right under him, so I have to tweezer feed him now. I don't really know much about caring for weak mantids, and I could really use some tips please. I would also like if anybody would tell me what to do about his half leg thing, because I have no idea about that. I'm really worried about the poor little guy, and want to at least give him the best care possible until he dies.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like you're doing what you can. If their feet become bothersome or useless sometimes they'll chew them off. I had one do this to both feet attached to her claws. Hand feeding, like you're doing, I found to be the easiest way to feed mine. Good luck!

Sounds like you're doing basically everything you can do before his time is up already. =]

You're doing everything you can. They have short life spans and his time is probably going to run out soon, so just keep up what you've been doing until his time is up. If he is or becomes unable to eat you can always euthanize him in the freezer to quicken things and prevent a death from starvation. Good luck!

yes I think you are doing what you can. I have an old mantis myself, she is now 7 months old. She seems to become clumsy in catching crickets, so I have to feed her decapitated crickets now. She will throw them away if they still have their heads. as if she were afraid of them.

her appearance has not changed, and she still is active, but her wings become more and more brown and seem to wither like leaves. has this to do with old age and has anyone seen that before?

Latest posts