Violin Nymphs Hatching! (video + photos)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
Another lucky catch with the camcorder.

Music by Precarious :walkman:

Caught some pics too...

Violin_2804-sm.jpg

They look like an Alien chest burster when they first emerge.

alien_chestburster.jpeg

Then the dam broke...

Violin_2922-sm.jpg

Violin_a2929-sm.jpg

Violin_b2923-sm.jpg

Violin_c2931-sm.jpg

This one dropped off his thread, but I was able to hold him by the little harness while he expanded.

Violin_2958-sm.jpg

Excellent, excellent!! I absolutely LOVE the detail you were able to capture in the video. And the 2 "adorable" pics are just that. ;) Thank you much for sharing these with us... I thoroughly enjoyed!
IncrediSmilingBliniking.gif

How did I get these shots?

This is my ghetto setup...

OothSetup.jpg

I got tired of shooting video through the side of a deli cup. It really destroys the contrast and causes reflection problems when shooting macro. So this time when I saw them beginning to hatch I carefully took off the lid and placed it on the edges of two video cassettes (I knew I was holding onto these VHS tapes for something) and threw some excelsior below for the nymphs to drop onto. I just threw this together when I saw it happening. Way more punk rock than hi-tech, but whatever works. :punk:

I wouldn't try this with every ooth, but the Violins are big enough I could easily keep track of them, and they are very docile nymphs anyway. They don't scatter like some species.

Excellent, excellent!! I absolutely LOVE the detail you were able to capture in the video. And the 2 "adorable" pics are just that. ;) Thank you much for sharing these with us... I thoroughly enjoyed!
IncrediSmilingBliniking.gif
Thank you! I'll try to get my hairy knuckles in the next one just for you. :clown:

your media is the reason i frequent the forums. you are the master.
Wow, thanks for the compliment.

Pretty cool! What camcorder are you using? and are the images video stills?
I'm using the Canon Vixia HF200 for video. Great little camcorder that shoots true hi-def and has good macro capabilities right out of the box. I got it for $400 refurbished. Paid another $40 for a 10x diopter magnifying filter.

The stills are from the Canon EOS Rebel T2i with EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM lens. I used to use frame grabs from the video, but there really is no comparison to a real DSLR camera with a high quality macro lens. I just added the top of the line macro flash, Canon MT-24EX, to my setup which I'm still figuring out, and a Canon 250D closeup filter which adds another .4x magnification taking the EF100's capabilities up to 1:1.4. So much to know with photography and I'm only a novice. I learn something every time I shoot.

I'd like to thank everyone here for all the encouragement. Hard for me to spend money on equipment. Knowing others get enjoyment from the results gives me that little push I need. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the most impressive shots of a Gongylus hatch that I have ever seen. The two pictures of the whole batch with the dark background are the best, great colours.

Wow, I never get tired of watching an ooth hatch, or checking out your amazing videos and pictures! Another great job, Precarious!

By the way... if you have "too many babies", you can always send some my way! :lol:

Nice vids Precarious! Do you go to film school? What kind of videa' editing software do you use?

Nice vids Precarious! Do you go to film school? What kind of videa' editing software do you use?
Nah, I just teach myself. Cheaper that way. And probably more productive.

I'm using Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10. Also use the NewBlue Film Look plugin to polish things up. I should learn Adobe Premier. I guess that's a little more professional.

Woooohoo, nice shots man, it's better than when I watched them with my own eyes hatching right in front of me!!! B)

your close ups are amazing, can't wait to see some of your ring light shots.

And why now am I suddenly hungry for shrimp???

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, I just teach myself. Cheaper that way. And probably more productive.

I'm using Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10. Also use the NewBlue Film Look plugin to polish things up. I should learn Adobe Premier. I guess that's a little more professional.
Yeah film/video production schools are pretty pricey. I learned the hard way. I prefer final cut pro, I haven't really messed around with any other programs.

Yeah film/video production schools are pretty pricey. I learned the hard way. I prefer final cut pro, I haven't really messed around with any other programs.
Ah, I see. Good to know there are others here interested in production.

I'm a very hands-on kind of guy. If I really want to do something I just figure it out myself. I'm maybe too impatient to learn much technical data that doesn't directly apply to my desired intention. The downside is I am master of nothing, in the broad sense. The upside is, after a little stumbling around, I find my way to more instant gratification, and my mind remains uncluttered. At least, that's my poetic vision of my methodology. ;)

I'm all PC so I never had a chance to check out Final Cut.

Ah, I see. Good to know there are others here interested in production.

I'm a very hands-on kind of guy. If I really want to do something I just figure it out myself. I'm maybe too impatient to learn much technical data that doesn't directly apply to my desired intention. The downside is I am master of nothing, in the broad sense. The upside is, after a little stumbling around, I find my way to more instant gratification, and my mind remains uncluttered. At least, that's my poetic vision of my methodology. ;)

I'm all PC so I never had a chance to check out Final Cut.
I've been itching for a camera and software; I have been out on video production for a few years now. Can't VVait.

How did I get these shots?

This is my ghetto setup...

I got tired of shooting video through the side of a deli cup. It really destroys the contrast and causes reflection problems when shooting macro. So this time when I saw them beginning to hatch I carefully took off the lid and placed it on the edges of two video cassettes (I knew I was holding onto these VHS tapes for something) and threw some excelsior below for the nymphs to drop onto. I just threw this together when I saw it happening. Way more punk rock than hi-tech, but whatever works. :punk:

I wouldn't try this with every ooth, but the Violins are big enough I could easily keep track of them, and they are very docile nymphs anyway. They don't scatter like some species.

Thank you! I'll try to get my hairy knuckles in the next one just for you. :clown:
Love the setup for the shooting. I've done similar for still shots, but don't have a video camcorder capable of producing good macro video. Sharing the photo/video tips with others is great, and can only help us all in capturing amazing stuff to share :) . Not sure if I'm looking forward to future hairy knuckle shots or not.... :blink: :lol:

When I read "video" I think about you :lol: , what a great Video, like Queen said .... is a kind of magic!!!!!, your music also complement very well the vid.

Your shots the first one I liked the most... so clean.