Wahbergii - Drop Dead !

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimpaunik

Reaction score
One of my 2 wahlbergii´s was dead this morning..

Yesterday all was good,

but this morning it was brownish and dead..

What could cause this?

RH 70%

23 C

My chanses for breeding is gone,but the other one is still very alive and i really wanna know if i do something wrong with this specie?

The care sheets for this species warn against too much moisture and infections. I misted mine every 2 - 3 days. The care sheets I found recommended around 60% humidity, but mine was lower than that in between spraying.

I never fed mine crickets. I would add some flying insects to the diet.

Good luck with your other one. Perhaps you can find a mate for it.

Environmental conditions (from Keeping Insects)

The ideal temperature is about 26 ° C, but can vary between 25 ° C and 30 ° C. At night the temperature should be at least 18 ° C.

This species has no very high demands on the humidity, but too much moisture is deadly to them because of infections. Spray about 3 times a week with clean water. Drinking from the water droplets is important for this species. Proper ventilation is crucial, and mold should be avoided at all times for this species. Especially the adults may do better in a dry environment than a too wet environment. The air humidity should be around 60%.

Okey thanks :)

it´s about -15C outside, so it´s difficult to find food for them, wish it was spring..

No i cant get my hands on anything else than Crickets... I want to give them variation but its impossible now.

The care sheets for this species warn against too much moisture and infections. I misted mine every 2 - 3 days. The care sheets I found recommended around 60% humidity, but mine was lower than that in between spraying.

I never fed mine crickets. I would add some flying insects to the diet.

Good luck with your other one. Perhaps you can find a mate for it.

Environmental conditions (from Keeping Insects)

The ideal temperature is about 26 ° C, but can vary between 25 ° C and 30 ° C. At night the temperature should be at least 18 ° C.

This species has no very high demands on the humidity, but too much moisture is deadly to them because of infections. Spray about 3 times a week with clean water. Drinking from the water droplets is important for this species. Proper ventilation is crucial, and mold should be avoided at all times for this species. Especially the adults may do better in a dry environment than a too wet environment. The air humidity should be around 60%.
I love that you cited the source material! I know it's a pain to look things up, but I (for one) appreciate the effort. :)

I had a subadult shield (Rhrombo) do the same thing!!

She also was last given cricks.

Did yours turn black with black eyes?

Nope no carrots. Fresh Salad and dog food pellets they love it.. Protein. But never carrots.

I have had lots of young mantids just drop dead, but they didnt have black eyes and turn dark

all over their bodies!!

At first, I thought it was a bad crick, but they are all getting the same cricks.

So it must not be the cricks!!?? Right??

I dont believe mantids will suddenly drop dead because the RH went up or down overnight!!

If you have the stomach for it (it's gross), you can catch are raise your own flies.

But it's probably too cold in Sweden to do that!!

Last edited by a moderator:
:) i have not seen a fly or any other insect in 6 -7 months. I guess this death will be a mystery..