wahlbergii to the left of me Ocellata to the right

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macro junkie

Dead Leaf Mantis
Reaction score
2 adult females.

wahlbergii to the left of me Ocellata to the right..Wahlbergii rules!

flower7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I'm so pumped up! My P. wahlbergii are L4 - can't wait till they mature, this female looks molten hot!

Great comparison photo, i dont see why everyone dont drop the boring ocellata :lol:

i remember a few years ago when everyone had wahlbergii and nobody had ocellata, i always wished someday i would be able to keep ocellata just because (on the whole) they tend to be smaller. now i have them i wont let them go! (even though my first generation came to a garnd total of 8 :angry: <_< <_< <_< :rolleyes: ) ocellata FTW! :p

Ocellata rock simply becuause you can raise one to adult without any problems stricly on a diet of fruit flies...

The bigger a mantis gets the bigger their feeder insects need to be... Maybe if shipping charges to constantly be ordering flies, bluebottles, crickets dont bother you then that is fine but small mantids are more economically feasible for us poor folks.

Ocellata rock simply because you can raise one to adult without any problems strictly on a diet of fruit flies... The bigger a mantis gets the bigger their feeder insects need to be... Maybe if shipping charges to constantly be ordering flies, bluebottles, crickets dont bother you then that is fine but small mantids are more economically feasible for us poor folks.
:lol: :lol: i feed all mine green and blue bottles..i get 1 pint of maggots for 1£ so the cost to feed my mantids is so little i can afford to keep wahlbergii :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ocellata rock simply becuause you can raise one to adult without any problems stricly on a diet of fruit flies... The bigger a mantis gets the bigger their feeder insects need to be... Maybe if shipping charges to constantly be ordering flies, bluebottles, crickets dont bother you then that is fine but small mantids are more economically feasible for us poor folks.
think it would take quite an unfeasably large amount of fruit flies to keep a group of larger nymphs well fed, let alone adults, let alone a mated laying female (or more than one). probably end up costing more (if not money than deffinitely time and effort) than feeding green/bluebottles, as fishing shops sell maggots pretty cheap.

however i deffinitely agree with your point in terms of the housing and space taken up by smaller species.

think it would take quite an unfeasably large amount of fruit flies to keep a group of larger nymphs well fed, let alone adults, let alone a mated laying female (or more than one). probably end up costing more (if not money than deffinitely time and effort) than feeding green/bluebottles, as fishing shops sell maggots pretty cheap.however i deffinitely agree with your point in terms of the housing and space taken up by smaller species.
Unfortunately fishing shops dont sell bluebottle maggots here in the states. That leaves us with only online distributers to purchase from and shipping charges alone can quickly put you in the red. But I got 8 FF cultures with hundreds of flies in each, and that keeps my P.O.'s fat and happy.

Unfortunately fishing shops dont sell bluebottle maggots here in the states. That leaves us with only online distributers to purchase from and shipping charges alone can quickly put you in the red. But I got 8 FF cultures with hundreds of flies in each, and that keeps my P.O.'s fat and happy.
that sucks, but now mikhail is churning out some serious numbers of bluebottle maggots and pupae for some (to UK eyes) very reasonable prices so you guys got no excuse!

http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10653

Can you just starw a waxmoth colony or leave some rotten meat in a busket and wait till the maggots appear?