• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Mantidforum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted. The following species

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Does anyone have any of the following species? Need these for the Bugfest event. Thanks.

Minor Ground Mantid (Litaneutria minor)

Narrow-Winged Mantid (Tenodera angustipennis)

Scudders Mantid (Oligonicella scudderi)

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone ever seen a Stagmomantis floridensis so far?
Are you saying it is not a real species? If so I can remove it. I didn't make the list. I know most of the list are real. :)

No, I am not sure about it. It was named long ago and mentioned in some papers, but I cannot trace a newer record of this species, not telling about a reliable photo. Noone seems to have found it for several decades, or, at least, it didn't seem to have been mentioned.

No, I am not sure about it. It was named long ago and mentioned in some papers, but I cannot trace a newer record of this species, not telling about a reliable photo. Noone seems to have found it for several decades, or, at least, it didn't seem to have been mentioned.
Thanks. Looks like no chance of anyone having any of the list.

the minor mantid is quite rare and doubt many people would actually have that species as it could be close or maybe already extinct and probably could go for the rest on the list!

No, the other ones should be obtainable in the suitable habitats.

I'm rather surprised that none of our florida members have never found or stubled apon Stagmomantis Floridensis.

I cant imagine a Stagmomantis sp. being harder to find than lets say a Gonatisa grisea, or a Mantoida maya. I of course could be wrong. Maybe it's possible they had mistaken it for a rather large Stagmomantis carolina?

Now, as this topic made me curious by myself, I checked some of my literature and found some good evidence in Blatchley 1920 - Orthoptera of Northeastern America.

So, it seems that St. floridensis is a valid species, somewhat more slender and slightly larger than St. carolina, with shorter wings and usually greenish color (don't emphasize color too much, though!). It was said to be almost as abundant as carolina in Florida. The book features a B&W photograph of the type specimen. The species was recorded from the following locations: Dunedin, Utopia, Punta Gorda, Parish, Pablo Beach, Carrabelle, La Grange and Everglade. Don't know if any of the towns still exists today.

Strohecker (1939) also recorded it from Ft. Lauderdale and Pinecrest.

Now, as this topic made me curious by myself, I checked some of my literature and found some good evidence in Blatchley 1920 - Orthoptera of Northeastern America.So, it seems that St. floridensis is a valid species, somewhat more slender and slightly larger than St. carolina, with shorter wings and usually greenish color (don't emphasize color too much, though!). It was said to be almost as abundant as carolina in Florida. The book features a B&W photograph of the type specimen. The species was recorded from the following locations: Dunedin, Utopia, Punta Gorda, Parish, Pablo Beach, Carrabelle, La Grange and Everglade. Don't know if any of the towns still exists today.

One of these days I am going to make a trip to FL just for the purpose of collecting. It's ony about 8 hours or so.

Now, as this topic made me curious by myself, I checked some of my literature and found some good evidence in Blatchley 1920 - Orthoptera of Northeastern America.So, it seems that St. floridensis is a valid species, somewhat more slender and slightly larger than St. carolina, with shorter wings and usually greenish color (don't emphasize color too much, though!). It was said to be almost as abundant as carolina in Florida. The book features a B&W photograph of the type specimen. The species was recorded from the following locations: Dunedin, Utopia, Punta Gorda, Parish, Pablo Beach, Carrabelle, La Grange and Everglade. Don't know if any of the towns still exists today.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was trying to find some info online myself, but all i came across was the that paper you were referred to earlier. Yet another very elusive species.

One of these days I am going to make a trip to FL just for the purpose of collecting. It's ony about 8 hours or so.
I'm coming to bugfest next year! I had actully planned on going to this years bugfest, but my cousin is getting married that same weekend. <_<

A road trip to florida does sound like fun! I'll pick ya up rick and we can hit all the nudie bars on the way! :lol: I sware honey all we were doing was mantis collecting! :lol:

Thanks for clearing that up. I was trying to find some info online myself, but all i came across was the that paper you were referred to earlier. Yet another very elusive species. I'm coming to bugfest next year! I had actully planned on going to this years bugfest, but my cousin is getting married that same weekend. <_<

A road trip to florida does sound like fun! I'll pick ya up rick and we can hit all the nudie bars on the way! :lol: I sware honey all we were doing was mantis collecting! :lol:
Both sound good. Hope I am around to do BF next year. Got something coming up that my prevent me from doing it.

I did get one of the mantids on the list. The grass mantis Thesprotia graminis.

Latest posts