water dish?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's unlikely they'll drink from a water dish because most mantids tend to prefer to be off the floor of their enclosure where water dishes would be. If they came into regular contact with the water, they might drink from it if they were thirsty; however, most mantids will not actively search out sources of water to drink from when even when thirsty.

Also, the water can drown a fat mantis, since the weight of their backside brings the abdomen down to the water level.

Usually, we just mist their enclosure and they either lap up the water off of the glass, or they somehow intake the humidity.

Ditto. Mist the environment (regularity depends on the species). I will let the mantis drink from the mister nozzle (squeeze out a drop and let is hang on the nozzle - place drop on her mouth). If she's thirsty this works very well for me and this particular animal. If she's not, she just moves her head from the water. Most absorb needed moisture from their prey.

Mist the enclosure. Easiest/natural way for them to drink. Replicates rain and dew.

I only used a water dish when mine became really old (close to death) and it was hard to mist her. I used the top of a film cap as a little water dish. But I had to coax her into it, she did take to it but you have to make them when they're at this age. But with everyone else, no just mist.

I give my bigger ones water along with their honey treat using a fine stick. I enjoyed the story of Little Heat. She belonged to Hibiscussmile. Featured in "Look ma, no hands". She used an upturned soda bottle cap for a table. Used for a big mantis they could not drown in it.

Latest posts