Wax worms & Meal worms

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmina

Reaction score
So nothing but fun time with "feed" food so far.. (not really!) But I think I may have another infestation..
So I decided to try my hand at breeding waxworms ... and ... success to the extreme... I think???... I think I may have two different types of worms in there... I started out with about a dozen wax worms..
I started this 9/01/14 my waxworms had already pupated in the container I bought them in.. I made up the big container, and just emptied the other container into it... The beginning of November I started noticing movement in the bedding..

Then this is what it looks like 2 weeks later

Does anyone know if this is looking right? or do I have more then 1 kind of worm in there? and what do I feed them now? The little bit of wax I have been shaving in every 3 days ... I don't think is really "feeding" them?

Now to the problem with mealworms...

How long does it take to see mealworms? The beetles have been going since 9/2/14. I know I have old eyes... but I can't see anything in there but mites...

This is my mealworm setup

Should I add more oats? is the dust from the mites? or the meal worms?

Thank you for any ideas... please...

This is video in the beginning...

I can't get the video to load

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears you have some species of grain moth in your butter worm container and a severe infestation of mites in your mealworm culture. The dust isn't from the mites--the dust is the mites. I do not see any mealworms, but that does not mean there aren't any. Newly hatched mealworms are extremely small.

When you put moist food such as vegetables into a mealworm culture that's in a poorly ventilated container, moisture builds up and the humidity increases to the point where mites are able to flourish.

You shouldn't need to provide a lot of moisture to mealworms--you only really need to provide the adult beetles with a source of moisture and that can be placed in a dish to prevent it from wetting your grain-based substrate.

Try using wheat bran as the substrate for your mealworms and avoid keeping the container so humid that mites can survive.

Thank you so much for the info Ranitomeya...

So ... I guess with the "wax worm" container... I should just wait and see... I guess the bigger worms are wax worms...

Feeding??? any ideas? Do I? Don't I?

Mealworms.. I guess just add wheat bran and remove potatoes... and just leave the grain in there...

The worst part... I remember throwing out a container of oatmeal from the back of the cupboard that had webs in it... and now I am trying to grow them and can't... NO!... I am not putting my mealworm setup in my cupboard... LOL

The grain moths, also known as pantry moths, are useful feeders, but can become serious house pests that'll manage to get into and breed in any carbohydrate sources in your house. I get them from time to time in infested poultry feed, and they're really quite useful for feeding smaller mantises. A common indicator that your grains or dried carbohydrates have been infested by pantry moths is the presence of webbing.

It would probably be best if you started over with your mealworms as grain mites can be difficult to deal with one they've started an infestation. You should vacuum the entire area around your mealworm cultures to remove the living and dead grain mites that have crawled out as they can cause severe allergies to develop with prolonged exposure. You can begin a culture of mealworms with just wheat bran and some adult mealworm beetles. Provide them moisture with slices of carrot or potato on top of something they can crawl into so that the moisture can't come into direct contact with the substrate. You will have to make sure that the wheat bran isn't infested with pantry moths and that you can prevent potential infestations within the culture.

It isn't entirely necessary to provide the larval mealworms themselves with a constant source of moisture as they have evolved a very efficient way of retaining metabolic water produced by breaking down carbohydrates. WIthholding a water source will cause a decrease in growth rate, but they can still survive and reproduce. If you feel they're growing too slowly and you have to provide your mealworms with moisture, it's best to do so with water sources that retain their moisture and do not leak or cause excess humidity through evaporation. For example, root vegetables that retain moisture are an excellent choice while fruits with lots of moisture and leafy greens are a poor choice. Always try to limit the amount of contact between the moisture source and the substrate. A shallow dish that the mealworms can crawl in and out of would work--you can use paper towel to give them the grip they need to travel on and off the dish. You could also clear an area of substrate and place the moisture source there as well.

I don't think anybody has mentioned this so... The larvae of waxmoths do not need any actual wax. The subtrate we use for breeding them here in the UK is crushed weetabix or bran cereals with a little bit of honey mixed in. Wax can be used but isn't essential for them to complete their lifecycle. ;)

Also, I discourage people from getting feeder breeding guides off youtube. There ARE great videos on there made by people with a lot of expereince but the majority of others are all filled with b*llcr*p info. They usually overcomplicate things and theyy have gotten their info from other videos and careguides which doesn't make that much sense... So it's almost like the game of 'Chinese whispers'- the info gets misinterpreted sometimes.

For careguides on feeders, I'm sure there are a few on this forum but the most useful ones I have found are the pinned posts on major reptile forums, such as RFUK. These pinned posts are usually a compilation of what works well with most people with the most efficient method. :)

Latest posts