~Ways of telling if an ooth is infertile.~

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dingo224

Reaction score
There is a lot of speculation on how to tell if an ooth is infertile or not. Most people suggest waiting, but why wait for something that most likely won't hatch?

So, I've gone into some observing with an infertile ootheca I recieved. I ordered 3 Tenodera sinensis ooths about five days ago, and everything looked as promised. Although, despite there being two big plump light colored ooths, there was a small, dark one that came along with it. I was already suspicious of It's infertility when I noticed that it was the only one not attached to a small twig.

Now, at the time I thought nothing of it, and hung all three in a container, and waited. But, as the two healthy ooths looked the same, the smaller one still had It's...dull look. Now, before deciding to cut it open to know for sure, I would lightly squish the sides of each ooth. The two big ones felt very soft, and really felt like an egg sack. But the other one, no matter how humid I kept it in the container, would only feel slightly soft when you squeezed it. So, I decided a safe way that I've observed with others on how to know for sure, and that is carefully cutting the top of the ooth open, but not completely. Now, a healthy ooth should have a light color inside, while this smaller ooth was a dark blackish variation of it. Fertilized ooths also have a lot of slimy liquid inside of them, which should of showed up as soon as I cut into it. But nothing. Only when I cut the whole thing in half, did I see a very small section with this....egg yolk looking stuff. But, I cut it as neatly, and carefully as I could in order to check the egg slots. And there was nothing. All of the slots were deformed, or not even there at all!

Now, this is my experience with an infertile ooth. My biggest recommendation to those who are unsure whether their ooth is infertile, is to use the 'squishing' technique I used. Now, I can't claim this as fact yet, but like I stated from observation, normal ooths have a much softer, and easier squish to them. And they are much lightly colored. While, duds are small, darker versions of them that are fairly hard to squish.

I just feel that there Isn't a lot of information on this 'fertile or infertile' topic with ooths. So, with my theory already stated, I would love to see some of you tell your stories on how you found out whether your ooth was infertile =3. Or, just any information on it you've heard in general.

EDIT: All techniques used above are assumed to be very risky, and most likely would not work in the art of determining whether an ooth is infertile. The best thing you can do is incubate a ooth, and wait. It's better to give life a chance, instead of rushing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of what you wrote is good, but there is no way for the typical layman or professor as I know of to tell if an ooth is fertile or not! I say that with all the love I can! As far as I know all ooths will have eggs inside, some deformed ones will have the eggs outside, but I digress.... What you really probably mean is how to tell if an ooth is hatched! big difference.

A hatch ooth will be light in weight most times where an unhatched ooth will be heavier. I can tell after all these years by holding an ooth if it is HATCHED or not, I cannot tell if an ooth is fertile. Hope this clears this up!

ps, trying to finish before Rick does! As he is reading your post to ... haha, I win!

Your method is not going to work. Most likely that ooth you mentioned was infertile but much older than the others. Over time ooths degrade. If I present to you a fertile ooth and an infertile ooth laid around the same time you will not be able to tell the difference. That is a fact.

Yes, eventually the eggs within an infertile ooth are going to dry up and turn black. But unless you know what you're looking for infertile ooths and fertile ooths (of about the same age) are no different. An ooth that has been sitting out in the elements for a long time is going to be quite different. They are often harder when squeezed.

Again, ooths close in age look the same whether fertile or not. The only way to tell is to see if they hatch or cut them open. Those of us with more experience can often tell if an ooth has hatched by looking at the area where the nymphs emerge from. But this is not always accurate. In the field old ooths are usually pretty obvious and they are likely already hatched if they look degraded. Or if an ooth is found in say late spring it can be assured it is either infertile or already hatched.

What you described just sounds like an older ooth that has been degraded from age and the elements. What I said here does not apply to deformed ooths.

"Squishing technique"?There is nothing to squeeze on most species.Ooths are not all the same,far from that.

Fertile ooths arent always heavy feeling either, they can dry out in shipment as well as be darker or lighter for it. Unless otherwise clearly hatched, or damaged badly I usually keep them all cupped up and just wait out an approriate time frame. Im unsure why you would suggest to rush finding out rather than just incubate the ooth this could leave many people B*TCHING about their ooths before even giving them a chance and in this hobby we have already pretty much accepted there are no guarentees when buying or trading for an ooth so choose who you buy from carefully and only do it if your willing to risk a loss.

Well do to the fact that I am very new to this hobby, I can see all the mistakes where I went wrong. Which is why my action was a test theory. It was something that I assumed could shed some light on the matter of these things, whether I would be right or wrong in the end. I thank you all for still supplying your information on the subject in any case.

And my good man is what we are here for! I like a question I can answer! :tt2:
Well, if anything this will be just like how my ant keeping hobby started. I used to be so terrible at it, until I learned how to accept having patience for it. And with ants, you need a lot of it, and I've become very good at the hobby if I do say so myself! I haven't had a colony die-off in years c:. But, whether I fail, or succeed with these mantids this time around will be anyone's guess. You can have a big fancy setup for them, or even research all you want before getting them. The bond you create with these creatures is magical all on It's own, and whether your bond is weak enough, or strong enough is the determination on whether or not they will live.

I think that the easiest way is to just incubate and wait. I once bought an ootheca (chinese, probably) from our nearby garden store. We set it in a cage in our laundry room, exposed to in-direct sunlight. We probably bought it sometime in April/May, perhaps later, and it hatched around August, I think. (This was three or four years ago...)

Sometimes oothecas are not ready, sometimes they take longer to mature. It's nature, and it's natural.

If someone is super impatient because their ootheca won't hatch, try getting a nymph to care for while you wait.

Fertile ooths arent always heavy feeling either, they can dry out in shipment as well as be darker or lighter for it. Unless otherwise clearly hatched, or damaged badly I usually keep them all cupped up and just wait out an approriate time frame. Im unsure why you would suggest to rush finding out rather than just incubate the ooth this could leave many people B*TCHING about their ooths before even giving them a chance and in this hobby we have already pretty much accepted there are no guarentees when buying or trading for an ooth so choose who you buy from carefully and only do it if your willing to risk a loss.
Agreed with BT ... No Breeder can tell u 100% the ooth will hatch ... too many other factor can happen ... Dry out during shipping weather is too cold , the way you incubate it ...

I was out looking for Stagmomantis Californica ooths the other day and some of the ooths were very dry and airy. I thought they were either infertile or had already hatched. I cut some of them open just to double check and to my surprise they had developing nymphs inside. My conclusion is that there really is no way in telling. Just like others have said, it's best to just incubate them and wait.

Latest posts