weird band behind millipedes head?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yaih0550

Enjoyer of all insects (except wasps)
Reaction score
sorry if this is a dumb question im new to keeping millipedes. what is this band behind my little guys head? is he just molting? it doesnt seem to bother him too much but i noticed two or three pairs of legs dont work right underneath it.
20221214_232423.jpg

Is that a recent development? Does it slide if you push on it? It might be part of a previous shed left over.
no, its stuck to his body and it goes all the way around. i tried pushing it and it wouldnt move. could it just be a misformed plate? EDIT: he had it when I got him from the pet store a few days ago. i didnt notice it until I already brought him home.

Last edited:
no, its stuck to his body and it goes all the way around. i tried pushing it and it wouldnt move. could it just be a misformed plate?
Don't know. The band might be too tight to move. He can't get it off. Is he a lighter shade of color ahead of the ring? New skin vs old? If so, it might be the beginning of a molt. You might want to try this myriapod forum. There's more activity over there.

https://arachnoboards.com/forums/myriapods.3/

no, its stuck to his body and it goes all the way around. i tried pushing it and it wouldnt move. could it just be a misformed plate? EDIT: he had it when I got him from the pet store a few days ago. i didnt notice it until I already brought him home.
If it can't be removed it is a residual from a molting problem and probably will come off on the next molt. Otherwise it could be a body ring from another animal that got stuck there.

If it can't be removed it is a residual from a molting problem and probably will come off on the next molt. Otherwise it could be a body ring from another animal that got stuck there.
i think its from a previous molt. his heads coming out of it, but its attached to his exo in the back like hes wearing a turtleneck. i posted on the miryapods forum and they seem to think its stuck shed

Latest posts