What are these?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDazz

Reaction score
My Katydid keep leaving these on the top of her critter keeper... What are they?!?!

14269685_1744970629092196_1060782239_n.jpg

They can breed without a Mate?!? LOL I'm in Cali so I think it's a Angel Wing.

Did you catch it as an adult? If so, it has probably already mated. If not, it could just be laying infertile eggs.

I kept some Katydids ad a pet last fall. They laid me plenty of eggs, and were depositing them inside of some leaves! It was super cool to watch the laying process, hopefully you get to see it happen one of these days. ;)

Does anyone know how to care for katydid eggs so they actually hatch? I could not get mine to hatch, and couldn't find any reliable info on the internet about incubating them, diapausing them, etc. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Does anyone know how to care for katydid eggs so they actually hatch? I could not get mine to hatch, and couldn't find any reliable info on the internet about incubating them, diapausing them, etc. 
Only one member it seems would, and that is yen_saw. As it can be awhile in-between times he is on the forum, and very unlikely to ever see this post, you may want to send him a PM. Although if you do and get answers you should make a post with the questions and answers posted for other katydid owners too. ;)

I used to raise katydids a long time ago. The eggs take months to hatch and are kind of like a mantis ootheca in that they shouldn't be kept wet all the time without good ventilation but they can dry out easily.

Latest posts