What do i feed it now?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beatsnotbombs

Reaction score
Hi! I have two sub adult creo pictipennis that are hungry! It's raining, so I can't go get flies (blue bottle/house) like I usually do. I'm straying away from actually culturing and raising them (too much time and effort where I am). So is there anything somewhat clean (hopefully flightless) I can raise as feeder insects? How do stinkbug nymphs for you all?

crickets and dubias are silly easy and crickets will contain a lot of water (bug juice) if fed fresh greens and a slice of orange...so now your mantids need to drink less.

Harry

What does rain have to do with getting flies?

Hello

It may not help you at the moment. But it is only a question.

I dont feed my mantids with wild catched flys. Bluebottles and the big ones. I buy the larves at the fishmans shop. Where those who go fishing buy their equipment. They sell the little larves in little boxes of about 30 grams.

And to make flys out of the larves just easy. Take a box, put in some earth and some of the larves and keep them warm. The rest keep cold in the fridge. And if you use different boxes and fill them up every week with some larves you will have enough flys.

I have read a lot here in the forum about culturing flys, but I think this is a cheap and easy way to get some.

One box with 30 grams contains hundred of larves and costs here in Germany about 1.50 USD. I am shure you will get it also in the USA.

And then you will never again have a feeding problem.