What is a good feeder for GROWING mantis'?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

young1

Reaction score
I'm looking for some large feeders that are easy to breed. Hydeis don't seem to interest my chinese L5's anymore.

I've asked around about culturing houseflies but it seems like a big mess, to me. I am looking for a feeder that are easy to breed and ones that don't require high temperatures for optimal breeding (i live in san francisco, muy frio for the little guys)

right now the top 2 feeders i have in mind are crickets and roaches.

the only things i am trying to keep in mind are my roomates and my mantis'

i don't want my room to stink up because of the feeders but then i still want something that my mantis' will love to eat

HELP! any ideas?

Dont have to raise feeders unless you have to and you can always buy a number of feeders and when you run out just go out and buy more to feed the mantis as thats what I do buy several dozen crickets that last for a few weeks then when they are gone then go out and buy more as needed!

+1 to massaman. Crickets are easy and almost always available at pet shops. And you can buy or make something very similar to this for keeping them - easy for feeding.

http://www.ghann.com/store/store_product_detail.cfm?Product_ID=28&Category_ID=3

Occasional worms, or local caught critters will be gobbled up if you can find them, but crickets should do you just fine. And unlike fruit flies, you can actually hand feed crickets to your little babies.

Yum, yum!

i was thinking of that since i have a petco not to far away, but i've read that it is a good idea to re-feed them (gut loading? i think is what is called)so that you are offering your mantis' healthy well fed crickets which reduces their chances of getting sick or even dying. since that is what i would have to do if i were to buy crickets from petco i thought i mind as well just start breeding them and save me the frequent trips (plus the extra bucks, crickets are surprisingly expensive compared to hydeis)....but based off your experience do you usually re-feed your store bought crickets for a couple days before you feed them to your mantis' or do you just feed them straight from the container? and if so, have you had any troubles? such as your mantis' getting sick?

"Refeeding" as you call it and 'gut loading" are two different things. It is a very good idea to feed your crickets for a couple of days to allow them to purge any filth that they may have eaten in overcrowded, unsanitary conditions (though many, if not most crickets are well raised in pet stores, contrary to popular belief, because if they were not, they would die and lower the storekeeper's profit margin) and, if they are infected, to die.

Gut loading is a term used by herpers to describe a process by which crickets are fed vegetable matter, vitamins and minerals needed by amphibians and reptiles. The cricket becomes a food delivery system for these elements. Mantids are carnivores and will not benefit from vegetable matter, which they cannot digest, and minerals, like calcium, that they do not need.

Be aware when feeding cricket nymphs to mantis nymphs, that the former will double their size with each weekly molt for the first few instars, so that if you buy a lot, they are likely to outgrow their mantid predators within a week or two.

Be aware when feeding cricket nymphs to mantis nymphs, that the former will double their size with each weekly molt for the first few instars, so that if you buy a lot, they are likely to outgrow their mantid predators within a week or two.
Very good point Phil. ;)

When I buy small crickets for smaller mantis I end up giving some to larger mantis because the crickets doubled or tripled in size.

Mantids are carnivores and will not benefit from vegetable matter, which they cannot digest, and minerals, like calcium, that they do not need.
do we have proof of that just yet?

I'm not posting the following as an argument on the subject, but I do resectfuly disagree with Phil on the subject of gutloading. it's not only for the benifit of the herp that might feed on the cricket, but it is benifitial to the insect as well. that cricket will be healthier when gutloaded on greens and fruits. thus the feeder is healtheier as a food to be fed off, as also said by Phil.

all I am saying is that there are two sides of the coin here. it may not truly be manditory to gutload, but it can't hurt and until I see further proof otherwise, may even be quite helpful.

Harry

do we have proof of that just yet?

I'm not posting the following as an argument on the subject, but I do resectfuly disagree with Phil on the subject of gutloading. it's not only for the benifit of the herp that might feed on the cricket, but it is benifitial to the insect as well. that cricket will be healthier when gutloaded on greens and fruits. thus the feeder is healtheier as a food to be fed off, as also said by Phil.

all I am saying is that there are two sides of the coin here. it may not truly be manditory to gutload, but it can't hurt and until I see further proof otherwise, may even be quite helpful.

Harry
Kova

Ah, Harry, "a man convinced against his will remains an unbeliever still." The claim in your last para seems modest enough, and your question in the first also seems reasonable, though it betrays a bad methodology. However, I make no personal claims of being more "right' than anyone else and almost always cite the appropriate literature in support of what I say. The following won't convince you, Harry, but this is a public forum and I hope that it will help some folks to see how a scientific or quasi scientific investigation should be conducted.

There is no reference in the literature, to my knowledge, that states that mantids benefit from eating gut loaded prey, and therefore, the burden of proof lies on you to show how it does. You offer no evidence for your claim that i have seen.

I believe, though, that you are in possession of a refereed, scholarly paper that states flatly that fruit flies fed to young spiderlings, which like mantids, are slow developers and show evidence of tritrophic nutrition (substances that their prey feeds on benefits them, nutritionally), were equally nutritious, whether or not their guts were full. "Proof" is often a subjective term, but this is certainly hard evidence, not contradicted by any other observed data.

I think that most folks feed their crix on cabbage or lettuce together with other vegetables. Lettuce contains up to 90% water and 40%+ of the dry weight is cellulose. Insects usually cannot digest cellulose with their own digestive enzymes, c.f. Marc Klowden's Physiological Systems in Insects, p.175 (boring, but you did ask!):

Although cellulose is common in the diet of phytophagous insects, the innate ability to digest it is rare. [He then lists the three classes of enzymes and their actions]. These enzymes are produced by endosymbiotic organisms that live in the gut and not the insects themselves.
But mantids are obligate insectivores and do not have the intestinal flora to digest the cellulose, which is simply excreted, which means that only about 5% of the gut load contains what my be nutritious to the mantid. What the mantid does need, of course, is the protein provided by the cricket's flesh.

It may be argued that under normal conditions, phytophagous insects are always full of food, and therefor always "gut loaded", but the gut contents do not contribute to (or detract from) the insect's health until the food is digested, emptying the gut. An important aspect of this practice for herpers, as you know, Harry, is the introduction of essential vitamins and minerals and "color enhancers" missing in the captive animals' diets. This is not the case with mantids. They thrive and breed perfectly well without such additions, and scientific mantis labs do not gut load the prey, though mantids do seem to benefit from pollen carried on the outside of many prey insects.

So there you have it, Harry. If you believe that gut loading "may even be quite helpful' and wish to convince us of this, some hard evidence would go a long way towards attaining your goal.

So, any one read a good book lately? :lol: sorry, I can't read all Phils stuff, but I lov him anyways! and he is usually right if that qualifies!!!

I say go with roaches, they do not stink like the crickets will, when they die and are usually a good source for your mantis and If u get a good colony going, u won't have to worry about buying any more feeders. :p

Kova

Ah, Harry, "a man convinced against his will remains an unbeliever still." The claim in your last para seems modest enough, and your question in the first also seems reasonable, though it betrays a bad methodology. However, I make no personal claims of being more "right' than anyone else and almost always cite the appropriate literature in support of what I say. The following won't convince you, Harry, but this is a public forum and I hope that it will help some folks to see how a scientific or quasi scientific investigation should be conducted.

There is no reference in the literature, to my knowledge, that states that mantids benefit from eating gut loaded prey, and therefore, the burden of proof lies on you to show how it does. You offer no evidence for your claim that i have seen.

I believe, though, that you are in possession of a refereed, scholarly paper that states flatly that fruit flies fed to young spiderlings, which like mantids, are slow developers and show evidence of tritrophic nutrition (substances that their prey feeds on benefits them, nutritionally), were equally nutritious, whether or not their guts were full. "Proof" is often a subjective term, but this is certainly hard evidence, not contradicted by any other observed data.

I think that most folks feed their crix on cabbage or lettuce together with other vegetables. Lettuce contains up to 90% water and 40%+ of the dry weight is cellulose. Insects usually cannot digest cellulose with their own digestive enzymes, c.f. Marc Klowden's Physiological Systems in Insects, p.175 (boring, but you did ask!):

Although cellulose is common in the diet of phytophagous insects, the innate ability to digest it is rare. [He then lists the three classes of enzymes and their actions]. These enzymes are produced by endosymbiotic organisms that live in the gut and not the insects themselves.
But mantids are obligate insectivores and do not have the intestinal flora to digest the cellulose, which is simply excreted, which means that only about 5% of the gut load contains what my be nutritious to the mantid. What the mantid does need, of course, is the protein provided by the cricket's flesh.

It may be argued that under normal conditions, phytophagous insects are always full of food, and therefor always "gut loaded", but the gut contents do not contribute to (or detract from) the insect's health until the food is digested, emptying the gut. An important aspect of this practice for herpers, as you know, Harry, is the introduction of essential vitamins and minerals and "color enhancers" missing in the captive animals' diets. This is not the case with mantids. They thrive and breed perfectly well without such additions, and scientific mantis labs do not gut load the prey, though mantids do seem to benefit from pollen carried on the outside of many prey insects.

So there you have it, Harry. If you believe that gut loading "may even be quite helpful' and wish to convince us of this, some hard evidence would go a long way towards attaining your goal.
I knew this was going to be good hee hee.

I knew this was going to be good hee hee.
I almost didin't post because I knew what was going to be said. :lol:

Dear Phil,

I respectfuly disagree based on that paper you sent. you see, many of the charts displayed shows that on dog food, the fruitfly eating spider had a higher servival rate, less molting issues, lived longer, and so on. even out of all the flys that were starved for two days prior to feeding, the ones that originaly were suplimented with dog food had the best results. that my friend is what gutloading does. it makes the feeder stronger, bigger, more healthy.

my point is that, it's not just healthy for the mantid, but a diet such as colards, dandilion, kale, with fruits such as a slice of orange or strawberry as a water source, the crickets would be healthier as a cricket should be. some food such as bee pollin can't hurt (and I use plenty of that) and my 1 week olds can jump out of a 32oz deli cup with ease if I let them. that's all the proof I need. but wait, there's more.

I know that in Europe they strongly don't belive in cricket fed flower mantids.

yet I know a few who almost only feed crickets to such mantids as Creos. not totaly strange here in the US, but I too have fed a lot of crickets to my female adult Creo...almost 50% of her diet was crickets with no ill effect. she even laid a huge ooth yesterday. a freind of mine just sold off 400+ Gemms. I know he must have fed off hundreds to some of his reptiles. I can't say that the bee pollin in his cricket's diet contributed to high egg count or a better hatch size, but it's something to think about.

we don't have to agree on some things Phil. but sometimes, a different point of view is not a bad thing. maybe it can spark some interest into such areas.

I can't say if a mantid gets any benifit.

I'm not even sure there was evan a study on the subject.

I do dust with bee pollin and dried honey once in a while in case it may help as well. the extra calories, if anything, can't be that bad.

Harry

"a man convinced against his will remains an unbeliever still."

I love that line. You know, when it's not directed at me... (wink)

There is a common saying, "no pain, no gain". In learning about anything, if there is no reading (scholarly literature) on a subject,such as insect nutrition specific to that order of insect, and even sometimes Genus specific, there is really nothing to share but wives tales. I am not unqualified to add my piece, but will defer until I have read as I said, the literature apurtenant to the issue at hand. Logic can go a long way, but let's face it fanciers, Mantids are not termites (protozoans) in the respect of having the mutualistic natural fauna and flora in the intenstinal tract to take much advantage from common gutloading.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts