What is this!?!??!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleurdejoo

Reaction score
Ok so I found one of these on the floor, and I killed it.

Then I looked and saw several in with my crickets.

Is this some part of the cricket life cycle?

What?! Is it gonna stay in my kritter keeper? Can it climb plastic walls?

Jeez louise!!

photo_zps4dfc58f4.jpg

That is the larva stage of a beetle that likes to eat dead things, like dead crickets. It isn't unusual to see them in with crickets, especially the ones kept at petstores. They are rather harmless to living things and some people like having them to help clean their cages.

I get them in my store bought crickets once in a while as well. Like krissim said they may use them to help keep their feeder tank cleaner so I think it's a good thing?

Just think of them as a cleaning caterpillar, not so gross maybe?

Edit: Oh yeah, they don't climb slick surfaces like plactic very well(never seen it).

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the way the larvae look when they are grey and orange/pink and fuzzy. They are so fast when they scoot around in the container. When I bought crickets I would often ask if I could get extra dermestids.

I get them all the time when I get cricks from ghanns, this time I have a gutload of them, they can fly and I swatted one yesterday in the Bugatorium as I did not want it landing in my hair. I put some in a cage last week and it bored into the sponge stopper, when I pulled it out to feed, I saw it and it freaked me out boring into the stoper, I got the forceps and pulled it out and I think I squished it, freaked me out, no likie things that bore. oh yea, as of this point, they may be cleaners, but I still have to clean the cricket cages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts