What kind of Mantis is this?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peachesofpeaches

Reaction score
Found this little guy in central Texas... Probably about 2.5 inches long. What kind of Mantis do yall think this is?

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

Decided keeping the Mantis could be fun, making me more curious as to what it would be.

Stagmomantis Limbata I think, but definitely Stagmomantis Sp. Also, Introduce yourself dude, it lets us know you better. ;)

No, I do not think she is limbata. She looks more like a carolina than a limbata. I cannot guess what she is... Does anybody think she is Stagmomantis carolina?

Last edited by a moderator:
deffo not californica id have to say probably carolina, limbata r wider and almost an inch longer than the size he describes

Alright thanks guys. If it clears anything up, it's wings are yellow with a big black spot kinda center on each wing.

Those are carolina markings. Definitely S. carolina. Like others said, limbata is larger and personally, I've never seen those color patterns on a limbata (from what I've seen, carolina seems to be more varied in their morphs). Others may be able to argue different though.

Those are carolina markings. Definitely S. carolina. Like others said, limbata is larger and personally, I've never seen those color patterns on a limbata (from what I've seen, carolina seems to be more varied in their morphs). Others may be able to argue different though.
Limbatas females look different. Size would not matter as much as the look I think because I have had mantids not fed much and they are unbelievably smaller than there brothers and sisters. I think that is a Carolina Mantis too. I have seen pictures of brown Stagmomantis limbata that had those black dots like that. And those dots are on the top wings and not the underwings right?Here is a picture of a green adult female Stagmomantis limbata. I cannot see anything different from your mantis from my Stagmomantis carolina females. There is another species of Stagmomantis that lives in America right? And there are no pictures of those. Maybe that kind looks just like a Carolina Mantis LOL!

http://www.google.co...29,r:6,s:0,i:93

You mean underwings?

He said the dots are on the underwings, not the top. It's S. carolina.
In the picture it looks like on the top. On my Carolina Mantids it was on the top. Is underwings the top pair? Are you talking about those two black dots on the Carolina Mantids in this picture?

Did you mean it shows on the bottom of the what I call top wings? What is the proper name for those?

those carolina wings look like californica wings
Huh, really. Those wings got more orangish yellow later. All of them seemed to have black wings recently molting to adult. Do you mean just the color?

Latest posts