what mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardshell

Reaction score
hey guys! i have no experience in mantis but i got little experience in vinegaroon, beetles and plants..

so i am saving up money for a new pet and ive been thinking of getting a mantis...

i dont want plain green one... i want unquie, fierce, active one

so i saw ghost mantis which looked cool and easy! also what other easy species do you recommend? i would love some bark mantis :3 ( my favorite)

are bark mantis easy to breed, keep?

thanks for helping me out :)

also tell me if you are willing to sell some cool looking species later

Hi,

I would suggest either P. Paradoxa (ghost mantis) or a creobroter species (flower mantis) to you. Flower mantises, though they aren't one of the largest, they are active hunters and have a voracious appetite. I've seen one of my creos at L3 take down a blue bottle fly (the fly is as big as the mantis but bulkier!) and it was amazing to watch. They are also very hardy and easy to keep. They are partially green, have really cool white patterning and colorful wings which you might like : )

Another species you might be interested in, if you don't want a green mantis, might be of the Deroplatys genus (Dead leaf mantis). As their name indicates, they mimic dead leaves and are usually brown/beige and are considered one of the larger species. They do prefer crawling food though.

As far as I know, bark mantises are considered hard to keep. They require very good air flow and high humidity (which are pretty contradictive to replicate in captivity), and are very skittish.

Hi,

I would suggest either P. Paradoxa (ghost mantis) or a creobroter species (flower mantis) to you. Flower mantises, though they aren't one of the largest, they are active hunters and have a voracious appetite. I've seen one of my creos at L3 take down a blue bottle fly (the fly is as big as the mantis but bulkier!) and it was amazing to watch. They are also very hardy and easy to keep. They are partially green, have really cool white patterning and colorful wings which you might like : )

Another species you might be interested in, if you don't want a green mantis, might be of the Deroplatys genus (Dead leaf mantis). As their name indicates, they mimic dead leaves and are usually brown/beige and are considered one of the larger species. They do prefer crawling food though.

As far as I know, bark mantises are considered hard to keep. They require very good air flow and high humidity (which are pretty contradictive to replicate in captivity), and are very skittish.
I would not recommend Deroplatys as a beginner species. They need some unique conditions (which are not hard to provide, but must be paid attention to). They also do not prefer crawling prey. I think that is a common misconception with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want something active, not plain green, and fairly easy, I would go with a parasphendale species (bud wing mantis). Don't count the "plain green" mantids out. Many of the large green mantids have great personalities. The sphodromantis species (African mantids) are fierce and active and are fun to handle. The ghost mantis is exotic looking and easy to care for but personally I find them kind of boring. They are sit and wait feeders and can be super picky eaters at times. Good luck with your choice and welcome to the world of mantids.

If you want something active, not plain green, and fairly easy, I would go with a parasphendale species (bud wing mantis). Don't count the "plain green" mantids out. Many of the large green mantids have great personalities. The sphodromantis species (African mantids) are fierce and active and are fun to handle. The ghost mantis is exotic looking and easy to care for but personally I find them kind of boring. They are sit and wait feeders and can be super picky eaters at times. Good luck with your choice and welcome to the world of mantids.
I agree with the budwing and the ghost which was mentioned as well. Sphodromantis spp. is a great choice as well.

Also, please introduce yourself in the intro forum.

thanks for replies! i love the flower mantis and dead leaf mantis!

so i only got one feeder which is dubia roach... they are not really active and play dead most of the time... ( my vinegarroon have hard time catching them because dubias wont move...)

will mantis eat dubia roach? or what easy feeder bugs do you use? ( NO CRICKETS)

thanks ps i joined this forum long time ago planning to buy mantis but i never did.. this time i will

They will eat dubai and they also can eat flies (most perferred I think)

Latest posts