What other flying food options are there out there?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitkat39

Reaction score
Although I'm guessing NOTHING.. I'm wondering what other flying food options there are out there other than flies that could possibly be cultured and used as food for mantids. I love using flies because they are so easy to get a hold of over here.. a single phone call and you've got thousands at your door step in a couple days. Only problem is those times when they get out. It seems like once they've gotten out of the room and fly around outside, the other folks here seem to not like it so much... especially when it lands in their food that's been sitting there. I swear, sometimes it feels like they wanna kick my door down and stomp on my face until I shed a tear.

What other food options might possibly make sense out there? I'm sure the awkward feeling I get when a fly happens to get loose in the house goes away eventually, but just pondering other possible routes. =)

Hmm.

I'd guess moths/butterflies might be somewhat easy to keep and breed. You can use the fridge, like you do fly pupae, to postpone them eclosing. (You have't lived until you've got a Christmas tree ALIVE with monarch butterflies going from pretty ornaments to moving ornaments.) BUT, their time as larvae is longer than flies, (at least in my experience it is) . I'm afraid you couldn't breed and raise them into flight fast/often enough to be any good. There is supply though. Monarchs and painted lady butterflies are sold on TONS of websites. The former is considered just short of endangered, so you'd be helping the environment too, if you released the excess.

Mosquitoes are definitely out. Your neighbors will do more than knock your door down if you breed those. <_<

I've never bred lacewings, dragonflies, or the like, but I'm pretty sure those wouldn't work either.

I'm out of options on this one. :(

How about waxmoths? You can order waxworms online and its easy to breed them in a big jar.

I was investigating soldier flies at one point. Seemed reasonable. Still going to get out.

Also, you can put up a bug zapper for the strays. Doesn't get them all, but it helps.

Anything in the carnivourous plant world?

I've used black soldier flies, You can get them at Petco labeled as Calci-worms. They are not cheap though. I got some for half price because all of the worms had become flies and they didn't want them!

Sorry guys, I'm retarded. I didn't even think about this, but I could just throw Pupae into a small cup and leave it in the net enclosures that I use and when they hatch out they go right into the claws of the mantis waiting to eat them. Replace it with another one when needed. No clue why I didn't even think about that. =/ It's OK I'll admit that I'm an idiot from time to time here. ;)