What Species is it that lays fertile ooths with no mating?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoeRipper

Reaction score
I remember reading about it, but now I can't find it anywhere!

Yes Rick, I used the search feature and came up with nadda.

I'm positive someone will know.

Will you guys help me out?

The brunners mantis is one. I have two ooths for sale right now. There are a couple others but I can't recall their names.

For serious?

I wanna know how that works.

I mean, yeah I understand that they have the same genetics and stuff but women don't just randomly have babies that are female because that's what they are.

Unless you're that one broad who was a virgin and had a baby... You know who I'm talkin' about ;)

its some kind of genetics I think where certain species of insects do not require a male to fertilize a ooth but some regular species rarely produce offspring without mating as well!

Also egyptian pygmy mantis is known to do it occasionally - I have 1 parthenogenic adult female that hatched out of an unfertilzed ooth her virgin mom laid (her 2 sisters died).

She is an adult and I am hoping she lays a fertile ooth!

With the brunners it is an all the time thing. There are actually no males. Every individual is a female.

Well Rick told me you can prob get their ooth to hatch all out at once if you keep the ooth in the fridge for 6 weeks or so I am going to try this with the one that I bought and see if I can get more then one to hatch at once!