What time of year should I incubate Mantid Eggs?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdwardScissorMantis

Reaction score
I purchased two Chinese praying mantid eggs recently planning on releasing most outside, but there has been a cold front and I'm afraid if I incubate them they won't make it since its getting later into the season. Is it safe to put them in the fridge? And what type of container would be suitable for them? I love in the South so it's still warm outside but I'm afraid by the time they hatch it will be too cold. What Temp Should The Fridge be? What should I do?

Its a little late in the season to be releasing mantises, mantises usually hatch in the spring in the wild around March to April I think.  Yes, it is safe to put them in the fridge, as long as they haven't started the process of hatching which they shouldn't have yet. Any container should do, I usually put mine in the fridge in a small cup. By putting them in the fridge the eggs will diapause until spring when they will hatch. Then around when it starts to get warmer, 60s, take the egg cases out of the fridge and put them into a larger container hanging from the top so the eggs can hatch properly. I think a normal fridge temperature would be fine.

Latest posts