What to feed Giant Asian Mantis at L2 stage (other than fruit flies)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Gaint Asian Mantis, I have ordered food (fruit flies) but they won't come for a couple days after I need to feed my mantis. What other things can you feed a GA mantis at L2 stage?

I have a Gaint Asian Mantis, I have ordered food (fruit flies) but they won't come for a couple days after I need to feed my mantis. What other things can you feed a GA mantis at L2 stage?
The first think that comes to mind is pinhead crickets. I don't know how easy they are to come by at pet stores near you though, Here in US pet stores don't usually sell pinheads. Maybe your pets stores are better though! Also, some pet stores in US carry fruit flies on occasion, so if wouldn't be a bad idea to check out what a nearby pet store has to offer eitherway! Good luck!

You can also try small mealworms. I've had a lot of luck with mealworms when I offer them to the mantids with my feeding tongs. I found "mini" sized mealworms at Petco, I believe. They were nice little treats for my smaller nymphs. 

A good sized house fly or greenbottle should do nicely for a nymph for a couple of days till your culture arrives. 

Latest posts