What would cause this?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
This male was fine a few days ago or at least seemed it. Today I found him like this. His head is turning black and he seems to not have control of his upper body. His lower body seems almost to act normal. I am guessing old age. He was an adult for just over three months. He was captive bred.

animals457.jpg

so he may die? hm.... thats what my female carolina did, she did exactly like that mantid of yours, hey if it does die can i have it? oh and do you still have those chinese ooths? sorry about your mantid though :( . i hope it does not die.

rick, that looks very much like a bacterial infection. Many of my mantids have had this on their legs and neck, and I think it was possibly because of a cricket bite. To be honest with you,. there really isnt much you can do. I tried aplying tamodine wound cleanser, but that didnt really make much difference. But good luck with it.

Cheers,

Ian

Most likely, as a result of old age and the weakening of its immune/defense system it became more susceptible to the infection, but it does appear to have some sort of infection. Oh well, 3 months is good for a chinese male anyway.

I put him down shortly after the pic. I raised him from the ooth and he lived total of over six months. This all came on suddenly. He shared half a tank with a female who is fine but she is much younger. Not upset because they all die. :wink:

I had this happen to my adult male d. desiccata. and it was only 5 weeks old. but it attempted to mate with my female 20 times and kept "missing" so i think it died of early old age.

Joe

Latest posts