What's your favourite band? (music)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TanteEdgar

Reaction score
Here you can tell us what your favourite band is.

I want name, genre, where they're from and other cool facts.

I can't really decide wich one but I'll just say Slipknot to show you guys how you do it.

Band name: SlipKnoT

Genre: metal, heavy metal, ummm... psycho-music...?

My favourite band member: Joey Jordison, he is the best, fastest and most technical drummer I know to date.

I like killing people while listening to SlipKnoT, it just gives me new energy and peace in my mind. (kidding)

Linkin Park!!! :wub: (I think you all know who Linkin Park is!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good question, and knowing me, a very long answer... I don't have a single favorite band, but rather several.

Band name: Mournful Congregation

Genre: Funeral Doom Metal

Notes: One of the oldest Funeral Doom bands and one of the best, early material is beautiful and raw funeral doom, The Monad of Creation remains to be the best funeral doom album ever made (and my favorite album of all time in any genre) and The June Frost exhibits a slightly more modern sound that I simply cannot wait to hear what could possibly be next (not to mention that The June Frost is the best album ever to listen to while it is snowing outside).

-----

Band name: Therion

Genre: Death Metal (early), Symphonic, Operatic, Progressive metal (Recently)

Notes: One of the first metal bands that I got into. Their sound changed with each of their albums. On Of Darkness, they were straight up Death Metal, but became more progressive on Beyond Sanctorum and started to experiment with Symphony Masses: Ho Drakon Ho Megas. Lepaca Kliffoth and to a lesser extent Theli they became more of a symphonic thrash metal band, with their operatic sound fully developed as of Vovin, Deggial and Secret of the Runes. They are unique among the symphonic bands in that while using operatic and symphonic elements, they keep the metal parts HEAVY... the riff of Ginnungagap is one of the heaviest riffs of all time. Progressive and power metal elements started to find their way in Therion's sound in the Sirius B/Lemuria era and were expanded in Gothic Kabbalah. Christofer Johnnson is the sole original member and the mastermind behind Therion... he has, on several occasions, fired everyone in the band and replaced them with new members. The most recent purge was because the other band members were taking Therion's sound further from his vision (arguably, Gothic Kabbalah is different in sound than all their previous albums)... so it'll be fascinating to hear where their next album will be like.

-----

Band name: The Gloominous Doom

Genre: Death/Thrash with grindcore, ska and power metal influences.

Notes: Home town band that I've seen live at least 100 times. They are releasing a new album in May, by the time that album is released I'll know every note of every one of their new songs, because they vary their set list so often and I see them so much. Also, their songs are extremely catchy! Drummer Jer Stoyer got me into local music when he was in Six21, an alternative metal / punk band.

-----

Band name: Killswitch Engage

Genre: Metalcore / Melodic Death Metal

Notes: My favorite "mainstream metal" band. Before I got into true metal in 2005, I dabbled in some nu-metal such as Korn, Slipknot and even Linkin Park. As of 2005, I listened to a lot of metalcore as I delved deeper into the underground. By 2007, most of the bands I first listened to that were mainstream disappeared from my MP3 player. Those songs got old and tiring since the music is uninspired and weak as opposed to timeless classics such as Black Sabbath. But... Killswitch Engage is the clear exception. Not a single bad song and Alive or Just Breathing is one of my favorite albums of all time.

-----

Band name: Black Sabbath

Genre: Heavy Metal / Doom Metal / Classic Rock

Also known as: Heaven and heck

Notes: I'm not actually that big on the Ozzy era Black Sabbath. Sure, their debut album set the standard for heavy metal and the next several albums up until (but not including) Technical Ecstasy are downright essential... but the real gold of Black Sabbath's output came after the so called "Prince of Darkness" was kicked out and the best singer that ever lived came on board: Ronnie James Dio! Heaven and heck, Mob Rules and later Dehumanizer and The Devil You Know are four of the best albums ever released. The Tony Martin era of Black Sabbath is also excellent, my favorite albums from that era is Tyr, The Eternal Idol and Headless Cross. Cross Purposes is also a good album.

-----

Band name: Eiffel 65

Genre: Europop / House / Techno

Notes: Now known as Bloom 06 with two of the original members of Eiffel 65. Their sound also varies between each album. Nevertheless, this band, especially their first two albums, are major sources of nostalgia. Blue came out at the end of 1999, I started to download from Napster in January of 2000 (before it became a crappy pay service), so Blue was one of the first MP3s I had. Their second album, Contact!, is one of my favorite non-metal albums of all time and one that I can listen to through and through without coming across any sort of crappy track. Those sort of tracks, do actually exist on Europop, such as Playstation (song is boring)... but none on Contact! and none on their Italian language 3rd album Eiffel 65. Bloom 06 was a new incarnation of the group, minus Gabry Ponte and they have since released two albums: Crash Test 01 and Crash Test 02. Basically, they have modernized the Eiffel 65 sound and matured it with even better production: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pffTr5vCsdM

-----

Band name: Sister Hazel

Genre: Alternative / Southern Rock

Notes: Another of the nostalgic groups, their classic songs such as Happy, All For You, Champagne High and Concede... among several others... found their way on my early MP3 players back in 2000, 2001... in 2006 they released an album called Absolutely, which I now regard as their best album yet and one of my favorite non-metal albums of all time.

-----

Band name: Toad the Wet Sprocket

Genre: Alternative / Folk Rock

Notes: Same deal with Sister Hazel. Not a single bad album, some songs have a sort of melancholic atmosphere that captivated me in recent years, and other songs are pure nostalgia taking me back as far as 1994.

-----

Band name: Electrasy

Genre: Alternative

Notes: I only have their CD In Here We Fall and some tracks from various other albums (they only have 3), but they've managed to do something that no other band has ever done: Write a song that was never topped as my favorite song of all time, Cosmic Castaway. This song appears in what used to be my favorite movie of all time, Titan A.E. (favorite movie is now Avatar, but Titan A.E. is still one of the best movies ever made)

-----

Honorable mentions: Judas Priest (Heavy/Speed Metal), Abyssmal Sorrow (Black/Funeral Doom Metal), Moonspell (Gothic Metal, Black Metal), Goatwhore (Blackened Death Metal), and probably a zillion others.

Mine is Nirvana! I cried like a little beeach when Kurt shot himself! :(
[SIZE=14pt]Ya I dream in nirvana, but I also hate Kurt for not finding help from within his fans or just not being around longer, Ya I stink for that thought[/SIZE].

Everclear, which is post-grunge alt-rock.
[SIZE=14pt]Oh ya some of the best song to drive to [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

Oh there is more The Toaster are sill one of the coolest Ska bands 29 years of playing, some cool cats to drink with. So heres A list of bandsthe top list Screeching Weasel, The Ramones, Rancid, Cake, Kepi Ghoulie, The Red Hot chili Peppers, The Specials, The Dance hall Crashers, [SIZE=14pt]Voodooglowskulls,[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt] "young" Johnny Cash,Dropkick Murphys, and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones.[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

Ya there is more but thats it.

I must say Joe, your taste varies alot. I like it.

I looked up those bands, great stuff, I'll look to download it.

Electrasy - Cosmic Getaway is very catchy, I love it.

I have two:

Phish - for there willingness to experiment with genres and improvisation. Live recordings are a must! Sometimes it doesn't work, but a lot of the time it does. I love them for it and a lot of my own guitar playing is in the same spirit.

Thursday - This is another love em or hate em band. They are not emo, but lack of familiarity with genres tends to lead people to blindly assume this. Others try to label them as post-hardcore, which might be as close to correct as possible, but honestly I think they are a high energy unique musical force and don't deserve a genre label. The vocalist is really edgy and I had trouble getting use to it at first (his nickname use to be Tone Geoff), but I absolutely love this band. Give them a try and most of you will probably wonder how anyone could possibly listen to it; but if you examine the lyrical content it's not about slitting your wrist because a girlfriend dumped you.

Old stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sdFHLaaXiw

New experimental stuff:

Nuclear Rabbit

Styx

Pink Floyd

Dream Theater

Pantera

Last but not least!

Yngwie Malmsteen ofcourse!!!!

The Mars Volta (Only currently active band that I listen to. Besides Dream Theater, but they went down hill long ago)

List goes on, and I'm sure I left a few out - but these guys are definitely my favorite.

Noone mentioned Metallica! What the heck, everybody gotta like Metallica! At least some of their song....

Why doesn't curse words appear like I wrote them...?

Noone mentioned Metallica! What the heck, everybody gotta like Metallica! At least some of their song....Why doesn't curse words appear like I wrote them...?
Word filter. They think they can keep this board "family friendly". Most 6 year olds know f word anyway so i don't see the point.

There's a word filter?! Wow, this whole time I've been watching myself-

I can just go ahead and curse freely now?! Yippee

Word filter. They think they can keep this board "family friendly". Most 6 year olds know f word anyway so i don't see the point.
There's a word filter?! Wow, this whole time I've been watching myself-I can just go ahead and curse freely now?! Yippee
Just because most everyone knows or has heard curse words, doesn't mean everyone wants to hear or read them. There's a time and a place... but it's usually not here. ;)

Latest posts