what's your favourite mantid???

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What's your favourite, I just can't decide!I like orchid mantids, praying mantids, spiny flower mantids, african devil mantids, but I can't decide!

For me itd be any empusidae, and any other flower or dead leaf mantid

Actually, I would say T. ardifolia sinesis. A plain mantis yes, but rather aggressive and also calm and regal. ;)

Orchid mantis
d5f02ecd.gif

Of what I've raised so far, grisea, though I have to say the pretiosa nymphs and PW I have now are starting to give it a run for it's money.

I haven't had any Orchid Mantids so I can't say either way about those. I'm not a big fan of the more timid species like Violin's and Ghost mantids. As far as looks and aggressive behavior I am gonna have to go with P. Wahlbergii (#9's Spiny Flower Mantid) hands down as my favorite species.

I really like the Hierodula's, they are so pretty, all slightly different hues of colors and always wanting to eat, they are a little shy, but they are my fav!

So far the ghost mantis and the Texas unicorn. If I can get my hands on some wandering violins I'll be the happiest girl in the world. ;)

Actually, I would say T. ardifolia sinesis. A plain mantis yes, but rather aggressive and also calm and regal. ;)
Well said. They are not so "plain" though as they are common. Definately my favorite. They have distinctive individual personalities and are very interactive. A close second would be the chlorophaea. They are so sweet and so beautiful and I like that dancing. The flower mantids that I have kept are so dang small, pretty but I like a mantid that you can play with! I like Hierodula as well, Hibiscus. LOVE their colors and their big triangle faces!

I absolutley LOVE the ghost mantis. My uncle had some once, and i stared at them for hours, they even will live in little colonies, like they redefine the stereotype of "brutal mantids that cant get along" lol.

I just love active mantids - Odontomantis Planiceps is me favorite, but I would like to buy more small mantids - like Otomantis, Ceratomantis - boxers mostly - they can handle a large prey, and its always fun to watch them hunt - big mantids tend to grow complacent with the fact that they are bigger than anything else... and there is nothing spectacular in watching 10 cm long Tenodera handle 2 cm long cricket - but give the cricket of the same size to C. Elongata, that barely reaches 5 cm, and it will hunt it down and tear it to shreds - now that's what I like to see!

As for looks - my friend's syb-adult H. Coronatus was just shockingly cute! Maybe I'll give them a try - but they are a bit sluggish when adult.

Nice image there Thor .... good looking mantis in the image also.

back on topic ....

I am torn .. I like the images I have seen of the Violin .. just looks like the jet fighter of the mantis family.

The orchid mantis is nice looking ....

The ghost mantis has a look that could grow on me ... i may end up buying 1 of several types to see which one i like the best and concentrate on that ...

I am not sure I want to have 27 different species (or however many there are)

i love toxodera :D but i havent got it so...... i love orchids, sybilla... and all empusidae family!

Regards

Latest posts