WHEEE!!!! Another Tropidomantis tenera visits!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy

Reaction score
I was in front of the computer 5 minutes ago and saw a green shadow above my head. An adult just flew into my study room and landed on the wall! Reaching out for the nearest container, which happens to be the cover of the box of brand new CD-R, I coaxed the fellow into it.

Now, it is in a disposable container and I will be feeding it later. From the look of it, it looks like a male. The eyes are different from the female and looks like the male in this pic. But the whole eye is red while the female's eye is just about a slit of red the whole time. :blink:

Apologies, the eyes turned into slits soon after I kept it in the balcony where it is brighter. :p

I checked out the photos. From the side it looks like a pretty plain species but from the top it looks rather neat since it has oddly widened wingcovers. I'm guessing it's pretty small, what's the size?

Slightly more than an inch.

Hmm, the new guy is not eating. And he is frightened of his food which happens to be a small tiny flying ant!

The latest visitor is male!!

I compared the abdomens of both and decided to let him into her container while she was feeding on a mealworm. And...he proved himself a true male. :lol:

Photos of the intimancy to follow later. I got to do some editing because the shots were taken through the plastic container which is a little cloudy.

Seems to me like this is a small species, right? Either way, I really don't mind mantises flying into my room. :lol:

The latest visitor is male!!I compared the abdomens of both and decided to let him into her container while she was feeding on a mealworm. And...he proved himself a true male. :lol:

Photos of the intimancy to follow later. I got to do some editing because the shots were taken through the plastic container which is a little cloudy.
Your so lucky, its just not right. :lol:

I have a Tropidomantid Tenera too but its a female. Any idea how to attract a male? BTW my mantid is a sub or sub-sub adult and she's 2.2cm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Cindy, do you hav an ooth yet? I just found two Tropidomantid ooths in my house and i'm currently keepig them in a container. Do I need to know anything about keeping this species of ootheca?

You can lay the ooth in a plastic bag...no need to be upside down and the nymphs will just hatch like that. Not that I am very experienced with the species to say so but I removed one ooth and left it the wrong side up. The nymphs hatched before I could glue it upside down. :lol:

Latest posts