When fly's are not an option.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDazz

Reaction score
Is it possible to get thru the colders months on wax moths and dubia roaches alone?!? 

I've read about the dubia roaches throughout the forum but most of the responses are conflicting... Some say they're great and some say the exoskeleton is too hard plus they play dead or burrow never to be found... I know my lineola is pretty active and aggressive... Just want to make sure they will work...

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as you have enough feeders of the species you will be fine. I originally made it through my first winter with only crickets.

The only drawback to waxworms/moths is it typically takes 2-3 months for their life-cycle, so there will be many times you won't have moths. Well that is if you set-up a waxworm culture and let them reproduce naturally. If you add in more waxworms during the times your waiting on the eggs to hatch, you can get your culture setup where you should always have some wax moths for feeders as there is a mix of larvae stages.

Dubia roaches are fine. Many keepers though will use the smaller nymphs as they are softer, and a more appropriate size, for their mantid than the large adult ones.

If you ever do run into a feeding problem (very unlikely with just one mantis) you can always order housefly or bottle fly pupae online.

@CosbyArt Thanks for the info!!!

I'm actually feeding her flies now... My issue is the same someone else mentioned... The wifey is not too keen on a jar of flies in the fridge. 

I have no clue why the guy at Rainbow Meal worms said the wax worms will turn into moths in a week or so... I guess I need to hurry and get the culture going... I'll start this weekend once I confirm it's escape proof ... Would be great if I can keep them produced til the winter is over..

@BigDazz Your welcome. Yeah I was in the same boat until I bought a mini fridge just for my bug stuff. :)

He likely said that as the waxworms you received probably are in their last instar and will be turning into moths soon. The time frame I gave is from when the eggs are laid until you see moths again. Most waxworms sold are the larger/latter instars and usually take 1-3 weeks to turn into moths typically, so you should be good soon.

The only trick to keep the culture going is to transfer many of the waxworms into another 2nd container, after they hatch from the moth eggs; otherwise, they will run out of food typically in 2 generations (egg to moth) or less and the container gets full of webbing/dead moths/etc. Sort of like adding fruit flies from a old culture before it dies off into a new culture to keep it going. :)

@CosbyArt Even that seems like a lot of work lol... Is it possible to just keep the cycle of moths going... Like say buying wax worms every 2 to 3 weeks would be fine as well??? I've tried to do some research but most people breed to have more wax worms not moths lol... I just want to get her though the cold months... Unfortunately it's becoming  a lot more confusing and overwhelming. 

My crew and I made it through last winter on dubia, mhc, and lobster roaches alone.... and I keep the infamous Idolomantis. So I'd say it's definitely do-able, so long as you have enough feeders colonized before the cold season comes. Dubia roaches are easy to rear... really just keep them hot and fed fresh foods and they'll breed (like most roaches. ..)

I'd say they're a favorite feeder of mine for many reasons... but mainly because they can not climb smooth surfaces walls or fly.... or infest. 

@BigDazz Sure if you have no desire to actually culture them, letting them lay/hatch eggs, but will be purchasing waxworms every 2-3 weeks that would work great. I didn't realize you wasn't going to bother with culturing them (eggs/larvae/adults) and will just buy waxworms as needed - that will make matters much easier for you and at which point the only number to worry about is 1-3 weeks for them to emerge as moths, after cocooning. :D

You would just need to occasionally remove build-ups of webbing/dead moths/excess cocoons/tattered cardboard and add in some fresh food which can be done with the tongs; however, as the waxworms won't be eating much anyway it should be easy maintenance.

The waxworms like angled crevices to build cocoons in/on, so if you use small strips of cardboard (like described in my article here Step 4) you should be able to add/remove them with tongs too - I would test fit the cardboard pieces to find a ideal size, with your sleeve at 1 1/4" in size you might find strips cut 2" high (slightly fold to get in/out) and just 1/2" short of the length of the container the best.

Also as you will be buying them frequently (2-3 weeks) that should give you a endless amount of moths too.

The waxmoths are considered to be a treat though as they are so high in fat content, but if you are mixing in Dubias too then all your girl's needs will be met. Your girl though wouldn't complain about a diet of only waxmoths, mantids love them, but for nutritional needs the Dubia's would fill in the gaps. ;)