When to separate mantis nymphs?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omgraue

Reaction score
This is my first time hatching an ooth. Nymphs hatched this morning, about how old do you wait until you separate them? They are Carolina Mantid’s. Thank you! 

-

if anyone is interested in purchasing they will be $6 each + shipping. I will be releasing most of them into my garden, and keeping 2 pairs for myself.

29C40E43-F477-44E2-8D77-03C4730C894D.jpeg

I’m not sure how cannibalistic Carolinas are, but here’s the general advice. Some people say to separate around L3, but they might need a bigger container if you plan on keeping them together until then. Once they start molting, though, I would imagine the larger ones might eat the ones that have yet to molt. I would suggest separating them as soon as you can. 

You might also want to consider keeping more than two pairs. I hatched a Chinese ooth just last month and released them all out to my garden because I didn’t have the proper prey to feed them. I’ve been searching every day, and I haven’t seen any in weeks. I have a potted garden, so it’s not like they could’ve just walked away into a forest or neighboring garden, so I think they’re either super good at hiding, or they’re all dead.

But congratulations on your hatch! They’re adorable little babies. Good luck with them!

Latest posts