Where to begin...?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacier

Reaction score
I just bought an exo terra 12x12x12 terrarium because I have been dying to get a mantis. Now I am researching and trying to find a species that would work well in my dry climate (Montana, USA) and trying to figure out what all to put inside it's environment. I know I want something large for easier handling. Any suggestions?

Okay first off I'm not very experienced so take everything i say with a grain of salt. I dont really see how climate would be an issue since you cant simply mist the enclosure with a spray bottle to keep humidity up. The Idolomantis Diabolica (devils flower mantis) is large at a size of 10 cm or 4 inches but from what i understand they are rare, hard to keep, and fairly expensive. Hierodula membranacea (giant asian mantis) are also large and get about as big as the devils flower mantis [mabye a little smaller], they are easy to keep come in any color from green to brown to golden, are comfortable at room temperature and happy if misted every other day. I personally own one. Tenodera seninses (Chinese mantis) are a popular choice like the giant asians. They are green/brown also a large species. Comfortable at room temprature and like the giant asians just mist them often enough so they can drink. Hope this helps. 

Welcome to the forum.  I agree with Tenodera sinensis and the Hierodula species.  I believe the giant dead leaf species (such as Deroplatys dessicata) are supposed to be fairly easy, and also the shield mantis (such as Rhombodera basalis).  Those get fairly big too.

Of those, I have only kept Chinese myself, but I have seen them all listed as suitable beginner species and they are on my list to try eventually!

I just bought an exo terra 12x12x12 terrarium because I have been dying to get a mantis. Now I am researching and trying to find a species that would work well in my dry climate (Montana, USA) and trying to figure out what all to put inside it's environment. I know I want something large for easier handling. Any suggestions?
In regards to a dry climate, Thistles are a desert species and not hard to care for. They just require extra heat (can be provided by a small desk lamp), and  they are a really beautiful species!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts