Which sp. of praying mantids live in Florida?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABbuggin

Reaction score
As it turns out, I am FINALLY going to Florida sometime other that in the winter :lol: I am actually going 2-3 times this summer :D

I just some searching with no luck, I know of a few species that live in Florida (Grizzled Mantis, Medeteranian Mantis) but was curious about which other species live there.

Thanks!

P.S. There was a website that I linked a while ago, I lost it unfortunately. It lists all of the species of mantids that live in the US and which state they live in. The website had a picture of a green snake's head on the top, if anybody knows which website I am talking about please let me know!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bring something awesome back AB!

Oligonicella scudderi is found in florida too :eek: (found mine here, in Texas), as is Phyllovates chlorophaea... I thought P. chlorophaea was only along the border(s) of mexico.

If anyone needs it, I can email a key that covers ALL species of mantids found in the wild in the US. It also gives some range information.

Anyone who wants the key needs to send me thier email address via PM. This is the same key I made available a few months ago. And before anyone asks, I will send it FREE!

Phyllovates chlorophaea does not occur in Florida. It seems to have been an erroneous record which is continuously cited in the literature.

Bring something awesome back AB!Oligonicella scudderi is found in florida too :eek: (found mine here, in Texas), as is Phyllovates chlorophaea... I thought P. chlorophaea was only along the border(s) of mexico.
Yea you are right Nola, it could be just few isolated cases where this species hitch-hiking to other states by transportation but never establish a culture. It was even mentioned to be found as far north as New York but certainly the climate there couldn't support this species.

If anyone needs it, I can email a key that covers ALL species of mantids found in the wild in the US. It also gives some range information.Anyone who wants the key needs to send me thier email address via PM. This is the same key I made available a few months ago. And before anyone asks, I will send it FREE!

Try printing them out and seeing what size they are. If they are too small, you should be able to enlarge them. I reduced them as I have very slow dial-up and large scans would take days to upload!

Hmmm I found this mantis in GA, and I'm not really sure what is it - it was a male - i took it only for pics, then I let him go where I found him ;) .

Can anyone tell me what it might be?

http://www.terrarium.com.pl/galeria/viewph...mp;userid=15474

From this page about Florida mantis it looks to me as: Stagmomantis carolina. What do you think?

PS Sorry for OT :p