Which species is your favorite?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantidBro

Reaction score
I love the Idolomantis diabolica. Their shape and size and coloring is just amazing.

But when it comes to species I've had more experience with, I'd say, I can't choose! But I will admit I have a sort of connection to those of the Tenodera genus. I know it's, like, the most common genus in all of mantidom, but I enjoy them. They're big and have an endless appetite. And some wind up with incredible coloring. I had a male who had blue eyes, blue on his arms, purple on his chest.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/153/b/4/male__blue_on_tenodera_angustipennis__l7__morta__by_alexandersmantids-d67msst.jpg

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/153/2/d/morta_s_beautiful_colors_l7_male_t_angustipennis__by_alexandersmantids-d67mt3l.jpg

So what about you guys?

Currently my fave is T.sinensis. Like Mantidbro said,they get big and eat well but my favorite part is their eyes. I love seeing those coal black eyes in the evening contrasted with the bright green body. I saw a big female about three years ago with emerald green eyes and a smaller male with ruby red eyes. Their eye colors just blow me away. I also enjoy their deimatic posture;the curling of the tail and pulling back of the front legs followed the quick strike of the raptorial legs. My son had his finger "spanked" by one of our animals two nights ago. That mantis spanked his finger good! It startled him as he was not expecting that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Of the mantids that I've kept I'd have to say rhombodera stalii. Big, hungry, easy to keep, beautiful, they have everything I'm looking for in a mantid.

Currently my fave is T.sinensis. Like Mantidbro said,they get big and eat well but my favorite part is their eyes. I love seeing those coal black eyes in the evening contrasted with the bright green body. I saw a big female about three years ago with emerald green eyes and a smaller male with ruby red eyes. Their eye colors just blow me away. I also enjoy their deimatic posture;the curling of the tail and pulling back of the front legs followed the quick strike of the raptorial legs. My son had his finger "spanked" by one of our animals two nights ago. That mantis spanked his finger good! It startled him as he was not expecting that!
One of my Tenodera angustipennis started eating my finger once lol. grabbed on tightly and began chewing away.

Of the mantids that I've kept I'd have to say rhombodera stalii. Big, hungry, easy to keep, beautiful, they have everything I'm looking for in a mantid.
Oh yes, they ARE a beautiful species. I've never had one but it's certainly in the top 3. It was the first mantid I'd ever seen (on google, when i first decided i wanted a mantid).

I love the Idolomantis diabolica. Their shape and size and coloring is just amazing.

But when it comes to species I've had more experience with, I'd say, I can't choose! But I will admit I have a sort of connection to those of the Tenodera genus. I know it's, like, the most common genus in all of mantidom, but I enjoy them. They're big and have an endless appetite. And some wind up with incredible coloring. I had a male who had blue eyes, blue on his arms, purple on his chest.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/153/b/4/male__blue_on_tenodera_angustipennis__l7__morta__by_alexandersmantids-d67msst.jpg

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/153/2/d/morta_s_beautiful_colors_l7_male_t_angustipennis__by_alexandersmantids-d67mt3l.jpg

So what about you guys?
I had a gorgeous female Tenodera with sea green/blue eyes! She was amazing to look at. Sadly she died early so some males I got from Devetaki9 couldn't mate with her.

Mannn I've only ever had experience with three different species. Out of those, the fearless Heirodula sp. are my favorite. Easy to care for, and excellent dispositions! Their fearlessness makes them fun and relaxing to handle, as well. At least, this has been my experience!

If I were to go on appearances alone though, I am currently in love with Paratoxodera cornicollis (which are apparently quite rare but can be found where I live--so I've made it my LIFE GOAL to find one)!

The Tenodera sp. can be found where I live too, and I found one once a few months ago (before I started collecting)! I'm sure I'll come across another before long, I'd love to raise them, especially upon hearing how much you guys love them despite their popularity as (what might be considered) a more "generic" species. The one I had found was certainly a kindly gentleman! He left a good impression on me for his genus :D

I had a gorgeous female Tenodera with sea green/blue eyes! She was amazing to look at. Sadly she died early so some males I got from Devetaki9 couldn't mate with her.
i love when they turn out with unique coloring.

sorry she died!

ive tried breeding mine a few times, the males were always eaten. gonna try again.

Mannn I've only ever had experience with three different species. Out of those, the fearless Heirodula sp. are my favorite. Easy to care for, and excellent dispositions! Their fearlessness makes them fun and relaxing to handle, as well. At least, this has been my experience!

If I were to go on appearances alone though, I am currently in love with Paratoxodera cornicollis (which are apparently quite rare but can be found where I live--so I've made it my LIFE GOAL to find one)!

The Tenodera sp. can be found where I live too, and I found one once a few months ago (before I started collecting)! I'm sure I'll come across another before long, I'd love to raise them, especially upon hearing how much you guys love them despite their popularity as (what might be considered) a more "generic" species. The one I had found was certainly a kindly gentleman! He left a good impression on me for his genus :D
heirodula are awesome no doubt. theyre one of my favorites. big and beautiful and hardy. ive never had one but am gonna get some from vlodek. paratoxodera are awesome looking, i cant believe you have those over there too, can i live with you please lol. good luck finding one! a similar species i also like is the toxodera bieri - freakin awesome.

haha a kindly gentleman huh? they certainly can be sweet. not one of my tenodera ever flared their wings. they seem less anxious than the species i have now. of all the species ive owned, the popa spurca seems most likely to become defensive and strike a pose.

Oh wat?? Apparently toxodera are native to malaysia, which means we might actually get them here too! I just looked em up, and jeeeeeze they are beautiful!! They must be such a bugger to find in the wild though @ u@ I must have them!! I must!!!

Oh wat?? Apparently toxodera are native to malaysia, which means we might actually get them here too! I just looked em up, and jeeeeeze they are beautiful!! They must be such a bugger to find in the wild though @ u@ I must have them!! I must!!!
arent they? theyre amazing. how they have those leaves on their body! crazy. i want one but ive only known of one person who ever had one and he did find it in malaysia

I love orchids and idolos!

I've also seen pics of Prohierodula picta which has an interesting diematic display.

Out of the ones I've kept, I love my Rhomboderas. They are large, interactive, and have great personalities. Plus, there is something about their faces that is so endearing. I find myself handling them the most often and they are extremely friendly (well, to me at least :p ). I love freaking people out by sticking my finger in between their raptorials. I know they would not pinch me. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Deroplatys lobata! They're awesome looking mantids that I'd love to raise some day.

Between the two species I have now, my Mantis religiosa girl loves chilling on my hand and doesn't mind being handled at all.

Latest posts