Whole culture of flies for only a few mantids.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan12197

Reaction score
Hi,

Again, I'm new, and I'm sorry if this has been discussed before but I did search and couldn't find it although I would think that it would have been.

Anyway, I remember reading somewhere on here an experienced mantid hobbyist saying that he was annoyed at how some people keep cultures of hundred or thousands of flies for just a few mantids, when one would need a dozen to sufficiently eat the supply. As I'm learning more and more about how to care for these creatures, and hope to get just a few violins eventually, (that only eat flying insects), I was wondering if there was any other way to keep feeder flies for them without wasting a ton of flies.

Thanks much,

Logan

Edit: found the post where I read this, it was Peter Clausen's general mantis care sheet. http://mantidforum.n...re&fromsearch=1

"I get a little upset when people ask if they should buy a fruit fly culture which produces THOUSANDS of fruit flies, all to feed one tiny little mantis. A fruit fly culture should be used if you have a few dozen mantises or more. There is no reason to condemn one thousand flies to a pointless death when your single mantis will only eat a few flies every day."

Last edited by a moderator:
If I only had a single mantis or three I'd use the small fruit fly vials instead of the large cultures. But even then there will still be thousands of flies. I don't really see it as an issue. Fruit flies don't live long and cultures dry out in a few weeks. For a single mantis maybe one small culture will be fine.

yeah, so far I've found it difficult to procure a smaller amount than the small vial. Would there be anything wrong with letting the rest go outside that I don't use?

Yeah, I figured that they didn't really have to die, and that I'd just release extras. I didn't see any vial of them either, so I'll probably find them and go with this. Thanks much guys

Heheh I found somewhat of a solution today at Whole Foods:

fly.jpg

Haha I was thinking this same thing after looking at the carnivorous plant forum.. I don't think they'd fix the culture problem but would definitely be helpful when a few got loose. I hate flies being in my house!

I actually buy a jar of live flightless fruit flies at Petco rather than mix my own. Mostly because I, too, have Peter's words of caution tugging at my moral fiber.

I think I spent $9.99 on it, but it has lasted nearly a month so far. I can shake out as many flies as I need at the time (usually 10 or 15), and close it back up. Works well for me!

http://thefruitflycompany.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I don't understand the issue here. Use what you need from the culture and leave the rest in the culture to make new flies and to start the next culture. It is easy to just keep making new cultures yourself instead of buying an overpriced culture every couple weeks. The worst ff cultures I have ever seen are those purchased at a pet store.

I guess I don't understand the issue here. Use what you need from the culture and leave the rest in the culture to make new flies and to start the next culture. It is easy to just keep making new cultures yourself instead of buying an overpriced culture every couple weeks. The worst ff cultures I have ever seen are those purchased at a pet store.
+1

I appreciate conservation of flies but I think it's better to have a culture of flies on-hand for young nymphs and end up "wasting" some vs. trying to conserve flies and not have them available when an ooth hatches or a new young nymph arrives from your favorite breeder.

Haha, that's what I do. When I have too many flies, I sprinkle them on my carnivorous plants. Venus flytraps don't care for these tiny flies, but the Sundews are perfect.

Latest posts