Why does the same female produce ooth of different colors?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisherman_Brazil

Reaction score
Why does the same female produce ooth of different colors?

P1010241.jpg

P1010242-1.jpg

P1010245.jpg

The freshly laid ooth will get the color of the older one after some time.
I am sure this is not likely happened as two ooth are both witnessed in person.

I suspected the fooder insect taking account in a greater deal! but only a guess though.

What species is that? I have some boxers and wonder if they are the same.

I've seen oothecae laid those colors but never that stayed that way more than a day or two. If that is their final color then it's probably for the same reason different young from the same mantis are different colors: improved chances of at least one blending in or simple variation.

Hestiasula wuyishana Yang et Wang,1999

I am told this will grow up to 5 cm, and the speciemen I have about 4 cm in total length.

I've seen oothecae laid those colors but never that stayed that way more than a day or two. If that is their final color then it's probably for the same reason different young from the same mantis are different colors: improved chances of at least one blending in or simple variation.
Good point!

P1010178.jpg

P1010179.jpg

The first one and the second one taking about the same time after being laid. Photo shows the first one, green in color, other than the blue in contrast.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the moment, this is all guesswork, of course, but the difference in color of these two ooths could be due to something as simple as a greater amount of one of the yellow proteins in the green ooth, mediated by diet. Your suggestion that the difference could be due to a difference in food source, Fisherman, has the advantage of being testable. It would be interesting to see if the female produces greener ooths when fed a steady diet of orthopterans, say, and bluer when fed 'roaches.

PH affects colors of things when nutrients lock up, witnessed by the leaves changing colors in fall, and they may be a contributing factor in your situation. Or, maybe your mantis was drinking grape soda before 'oothing' . B)
I say your little female played naughty with her hubby mantis AND the mailman mantis. :p

Beautiful ooths! I had no idea they could be so colorful.

Latest posts