Wild caught crix?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs4guy

Reaction score
I know many here are not fond of feeding crickets to mantids(store raised), but what do you think about wild caught? My area has an abundace of the large black crickets, they seem healthy and plump. I would think the natural gut-loading would be sufficient, thoughts?

Just watch out for pesticides/insecticides. I only feed my mantids insects that do not look like they have been drugged.

Yea the area where I am catching them is NOT treated at all, so I think it will be ok. Thanks for the tips!

For adults it is fine. Don't feed them to a nymph. When the nymph molts they usually eat the legs off. :(

Bought crickets are fine if purchased from a reputable source and properly looked after. Wild food is fine as well but it is much easier to purchase feeders than find them.

Farm raised cricks are safe enough for people to eat (and some do!!) :chef:

Cricks you find outside may have parasites and/or pesticides.

Luckily, my neighbors do not use pesticides, so I would not worry. But there is always some

"yard freak nerd" in every neighborhood who wants their yard on the cover of some magazine.

Those are the ones who gleefully hose everything down with pesticides, herbicides, defolients,

etc.!!! and contaminate the whole neighborhood!! :hang:

i use them all the time. i have even observed wild chinese feasting on them in the wild.

I am feeding mine with wild crickets from unspoiled nature lol and everything is just fine

Latest posts