Wild caught Mantid W/Parasite

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerland

Reaction score
My kids and I found a small mantid (L-2/3?) with an enormously swollen abdomen. We set her up in a jar with screen a cricket and water. While drinking LOTS.. it wouldn't eat. On the third night a larvae appeared. By afternoon it transformed into a capsule with tiny stem.. is this a wasp? The mantid by the way is still alive.. is still thirsty.. and hasn't eaten. (waiting for another larvae to pop out) GAWD it's like my own Aliens movie!... :shock: :shock: :shock:

I've seen them with the parasite inside of them many years ago. Never saw what it turned into. It was always on carolina mantids too.

Our science project has gone from red to black... I will keep you posted on what emerges. The mantis is still alive.. has not eaten yet.

thanks for replies... i never heard of such flies..

I agree with Christian, it looks to me like a Tachinid fly pupa. I have had those fly larvae emerge from wild-collected moth caterpillars many times. The flies look a lot like houseflies. Most parasitic wasps are much smaller.

Latest posts