Wild fruit flies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prayingmantisqueen

Reaction score
So.. I started trying to catch wild fruit flies to begin beeding. I took a deli cup put some sweet almond milk vinegar oats mix in the bottom popped small holes in lid and put the lid on I've caught several and will continue to 'trap' until i have quite a few. 

After that what do i do?

How to keep them alive for several weeks? 

I imagine you could use commercially made medium to feed and breed them. Why not just pick up a culture of wingless fruit flies and start breeding them? They are inexpensive. 

This thread describes how to catch wild fruit flies. You can use any of the fruit fly medium recipes available online or buy some commercial medium like Repashy Superfly.

If you want flightless fruit flies you'll need to purchase a starting culture. They can be bought from several places online like Mantid Kingdom, Fluker Farms or even eBay.

Ok so I just got home and checked my FF 'traps' and WOW I've 'caught' a bunch! Like 40 in one and 20 in the other. Cool!

So I guess I'll keep 'trapping' for a couple days to see what I 'catch'!!

There are many vendors that sell them. The flightless varieties are much easier to manage. Check the classifieds for vendors. 

Thats what I'm attepting.

I may not even breed them just catch and feed because we have soo many.

1533915405487-1642086662.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I catch wild ff by putting Saran wrap on a bowl of rotten banana and vinegar. It catches hundreds!

- MantisGirl13