will mantids eat cicadas?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sally

Reaction score
I just saw on the news it is going to be a big year for cicadas. It would be nice if they were a delicacy for mantids :)

I would only try it with a larger mantis or it may get pulled all over the enclosure, maybe even go hang gliding for a bit... :D

The real question is, can they eat cicada killers? :devil:

13 billion cicadas appearing along the east coast. I wonder how I would be able to find and catch or trap them? imagine all the yummy food for my babies

I have cicada killer nests all over my and my neighbor's yards. I catch em every year for fun. Never got stung! The big 4 inch females are crazy! Anyway i bet my aggressive orchid female would take some down

13 billion cicadas appearing along the east coast. I wonder how I would be able to find and catch or trap them? imagine all the yummy food for my babies
Mike - your babies are gonna have to be big. Gimongous big. Cicadas are large (and as stupid as brown marmorated stink bugs). I can see adult T. sinensis and similar size feasting on these. But small mantids might get thrown around like they're on a run away Patton Tank.

To capture them: Walk up to one. Say: "Hello Ugly. You're gonna be lunch." Grab them by the wings. Put them in a container.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely. If you can catch them during the emergence you have a free and awesome food source for awhile.

100_1480_zps121edbbd.jpg

P9270039.jpg

Latest posts