Wings not folding in

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rastaferious

Reaction score
Just recently had my mantis molt to L7 (i believe) and her wings are kind of furled. It's been 2 days and she has not been able to close her wings, they seem bent and not able to close.

is this life threatening? she is eating flies fine but is kind of clumsy since her last molt, any advice as to how I can help her? or should i just wait for her next molt

will try to upload pictures

thumbnail_IMG_4041.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@rastaferious Nope, the wings are not life threatening or anything - they just look bad, and can sometimes interfere with breeding. Sorry to say she is an adult (she has wings) so there are no molts left like you hoped, and she will remain like that the rest of her life.

Mantids can be a bit clumsy after a molt and is normal. Typically it takes them a few days (sometimes longer) to adjust to their larger size, or to cope with any unseen issues. The only thing you can do is to leave her be as she is apparently doing well enough if she is eating.

Only in serve cases is there anything that can be done with wings, and that is to clip (amputate) them close to their body - which I highly advise against doing with her.