Winter traps?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H_Ercule_S

Reaction score
As everyone in the USA is aware by now... Winter is coming o.0... This is the first summer I have raised mantises and I want to continue doing so year-round, however being in an appartment I have limited space to store feeder insects. I work in the garden center of a widely known company and have so far been bringing home moths that rest on the plants during the night to feed my mantises, however with winter and the holidays on the way we have begun the process of getting rid of all our outdoor plants. I know how to build an effective wild cricket trap as well as a Robinson trap for moths, and have access to extremely cheap fly live-traps. Has anyone had experience with catching some kind of outdoor feeder insect during winter with any of these traps or am I going to have to breed/buy feeders for winter? Unfortunately I failed miserably when I tried to keep store bought crickets for mantis food... It took 100 of them 3 days to eat each other, while having access to cricket food and oats... Huff.

Depending on your location you will likely need to purchase feeders. I recommend getting crickets from a reputable vendor. I like grubco. These are usually far healthier than those bought from local stores. Another option depending on the species of mantids you have is bluebottle flies. Pupae are pretty cheap and easy to care for.

The crickets ate each other because they were in "fight mode". You need to put egg cartons for them to live under so they know the other crickets are part of their den.

Naw the crickets were in their own terrarium with 2 1-dozen egg cartons cut up, cricket food and a water sponge. I don't understand why they all ate eachother...

Indeed, I have been trying to find some faster breeding moths to raise as waxworm moths take 3 months before I can use them for feeders for a few weeks (then it restarts). I've been looking at meal/pantry moths, but we don't have any in our pantry so I'm at a lose to find them. Seems those with proper heat can flourish and do a cycle in a month or less.

Of course finding a method to bred bottle flies (green or blue) year round without smell inside would be a better option. :D

Naw the crickets were in their own terrarium with 2 1-dozen egg cartons cut up, cricket food and a water sponge. I don't understand why they all ate eachother...
That is strange. I've been breeding crickets for awhile and haven't ran into the problem. Maybe it was just a bad batch due to inbreeding or maybe the food.

I make a simple mix of cricket food which mine devour quickly, and works great as springtail food too. As for watering I made two self-waterers which work awesome (although some females like to lay eggs in the cotton so I remove what I can carefully).

Of course finding a method to bred bottle flies (green or blue) year round without smell inside would be a better option. :D
Would soaking jerky in honey really smell *that* bad XD. I think I'm going to try flies after all.

Latest posts