Would a mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomeWhiteGuy

Reaction score
Would a mantis start a molt lower then it can? Because this one looks like it's gonna start molting an inch from the bottom and it's an inch and a half big. : /

Sometimes they do. Better keep an eye on it just in case you have to make a "save". If it hasn't startedmolting yet, you could probably move it higher.

Good thing it's one of the ones I keep in my room to watch constantly. XD

It does not wanna move tho I just tried to nudge him so we will see.

I was worried about that before too. If it hasn't started to molt yet just tap the mantis somewhere (maybe on its butt) and it will move around. Do that until it moves to a better position. Just don't tap it too hard.

I usually avoid this by only having perches on the roof of cage

Sometimes they have problems deciding where to molt so I put them on a houseplant or if they r on a paper towel on the floor of the cage I attach it to a ceiling fan and they have plenty of room B)

I've moved more mantis than I could count(whether they liked it or not) as there not good at measuring the distance from their head to the bottom without a ruler.

I had one of mine molt at about that high and severely damage itself all over. (I saved her very early in the molt but not early enough apparently) She now is an adult as well so she is screwed for life...

She has a bent throax

both raptorials are facing outwards

her back left leg sits above her wings

she ruffled her wings up bad as well

She did eat though so hopefully she can still mate & lay. We will see.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one of mine molt at about that high and severely damage itself all over. (I saved her very early in the molt but not early enough apparently) She now is an adult as well so she is screwed for life...

She has a bent throax

both raptorials are facing outwards

her back left leg sits above her wings

she ruffled her wings up bad as well

She did eat though so hopefully she can still mate & lay. We will see.
oh man that blows! males may have problems connecting especially if the wings r long but always worth a shot ;)

Don't mean to hijack the thread so this will be the last thing I say on this topic. But after seeing the success with the "cast" for the other mantis with the crooked arm. I have tried to do something similar with "kitchen ties" (the metal wire to tie up bread and stuff from bakeries). I will see if it can also work for me, hopefully it can soon be part of regular mantis medicine :D

She is still eating so I will keep her for a few weeks and if the treatment works hopefully she can be mated and lay.

But in short yes they can molt 2 close to the ground... it ends very badly :( I caught it maybe like 2-3 minutes into the molt as I was checking very regularly.

Latest posts