Wow, I can't believe this

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlasorsa

Reaction score
So, after having 90% of the mantids that I kept from the egg sack die due to molting issues and a very small number of cannibalism incidents, i have (had) 7 left. I gave one to my Dad, which molted again and is doing ok. Then 4 of my 6 molted, with one death, one handicap, and two fine. My wife goes over to take a look this evening, and you know what she found? A STUPID LADYBUG CHOWING DOWN ON THE ABDOMEN OF THE MANTIS THAT JUST MOLTED CLEAN! I forgot the lady bug was in there, and apparently they will eat just about anything. I got the mantis out, with the ladybug riding bareback on the abdomen eating, I assume, then I quickly got the lady bug off. The mantis looks really weak, and there is a small wound on the abdomen which appears very thin and "sucked clean". Can a ladybug do this?? Is there anything I can do to help the mantis? Help!!!!!

Not much you can do. You might have caught it in time. Only time will tell. Let it rest. My mantid's abdomen normally look pretty thin after a shed.

ladybug are capable of killing mantids that are weak or small. I've had one take the head off of a nymph before.