Wow! What just happened??

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitkat39

Reaction score
I was given a female S. Limbata to mate with my lone male. Everything went perfectly and they mated almost immediately. The next day the male was still on the female. Later on that day when I came home from running errands he was gone.. so I figured he'd been eaten since I keep hearing stories about how males keep getting eaten with this species.. low and behold he's still alive and looking right back at me inside their enclosure!

So I separate them out.. next day comes around.. some weird liquid is on the 32 oz container. I thought it might be puke, but she hadn't eaten anything yet. At closer look, it's coming from her butt! I thought that was weird.. I also noticed her being a lot weaker looking. Even later in the day she seems to be standing in normal posture again and not all spread out like she had fallen from a 3 story building face first, so I thought things were better. Just came home from work not too long ago (It's 11pm here now) to find her laying on her back at the bottom of the container with a ton of liquid all over the place. It all came from her behind and I see a little discoloration around the anal side of her body. I took her out of the container and MAN DID THAT SMELL! It smelled like someone straight out gave me a "Dirty Sanchez". HORRIBLE SMELL!

My question is.. what the heck happened there? Did the male go a little too rough on her or something? She had been perfectly fine and my buddy had kept her for weeks already with no problems. Why did she all of a sudden leak from her behind and just stink up and die like that? This is a total mystery to me as I've never seen something like this happen before. Any possible guesses?

I was given a female S. Limbata to mate with my lone male. Everything went perfectly and they mated almost immediately. The next day the male was still on the female. Later on that day when I came home from running errands he was gone.. so I figured he'd been eaten since I keep hearing stories about how males keep getting eaten with this species.. low and behold he's still alive and looking right back at me inside their enclosure!

So I separate them out.. next day comes around.. some weird liquid is on the 32 oz container. I thought it might be puke, but she hadn't eaten anything yet. At closer look, it's coming from her butt! I thought that was weird.. I also noticed her being a lot weaker looking. Even later in the day she seems to be standing in normal posture again and not all spread out like she had fallen from a 3 story building face first, so I thought things were better. Just came home from work not too long ago (It's 11pm here now) to find her laying on her back at the bottom of the container with a ton of liquid all over the place. It all came from her behind and I see a little discoloration around the anal side of her body. I took her out of the container and MAN DID THAT SMELL! It smelled like someone straight out gave me a "Dirty Sanchez". HORRIBLE SMELL!

My question is.. what the heck happened there? Did the male go a little too rough on her or something? She had been perfectly fine and my buddy had kept her for weeks already with no problems. Why did she all of a sudden leak from her behind and just stink up and die like that? This is a total mystery to me as I've never seen something like this happen before. Any possible guesses?
NO COMMENTS =) You already know what im going to say Kiet.. Starts with a SK ends with a EETTTTT!

A couple things come to mind. How long had she been adult and how fat was she ? Sometimes what happens is that the female is eggbound and all that liquid you see is from the eggs she hasn't laid and is rotting inside her. :eek: I have seen this before and they have a lot of brown liquid in their abs.

A couple things come to mind. How long had she been adult and how fat was she ? Sometimes what happens is that the female is eggbound and all that liquid you see is from the eggs she hasn't laid and is rotting inside her. :eek: I have seen this before and they have a lot of brown liquid in their abs.
Yeah that makes sense. She'd been adult for awhile since they caught her already an adult and had her in captivity for about 3 weeks before I got a hold of her. She wasn't super duper fat, but she did have some mass to her. Ouch.. what a way to go out... =/

Yep!

Latest posts