Yellow Jacket Hoverfly

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
These guys invaded my compost bin. I found the gigantic maggots and the pupa. I brought some of the pupa in and two of them hatched overnight.

P7120238.jpg

The "tails" (stinger mimic?) on the pupae are really interesting! When they come out do they have appendages that look like stingers at the back end?
When I first saw them in the bin I thought they were poop. But I soon realized what they were. They are a pretty good bee mimic. They don't have anything that resembles a stinger.

Rick, do they bite like the wasps? and these are not yellow jackets but some kind of fly?
No. They feed on nectar and pollinate plants. They are hoverflies that mimic yellow jackets to fool predators.

Last edited by a moderator:
These guys invaded my compost bin. I found the gigantic maggots and the pupa. I brought some of the pupa in and two of them hatched overnight.
P7120238.jpg
are you going to breed them :huh: if you do, good luck ;)

The "tails" (stinger mimic?) on the pupae are really interesting! When they come out do they have appendages that look like stingers at the back end?
The stinger-like appendage could well be a breathing apparatus.

Hover flys are just like mantids. They are very beneficial! They lay eggs in the middle of aphid colonies and their larva each something like 50 aphids a day! I saw some hovering on my bushes and i saw aphid colonies, and they always damage my plants every year. But the hover flies layed eggs this year and no more aphids!

Hover flys are just like mantids. They are very beneficial! They lay eggs in the middle of aphid colonies and their larva each something like 50 aphids a day! I saw some hovering on my bushes and i saw aphid colonies, and they always damage my plants every year. But the hover flies layed eggs this year and no more aphids!
Thats now what these were eating. They are crawling around in a big mass of rotting vegetable matter.