Yet more I diabolica photos

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdfly

Reaction score
A scene from my greenhouse were by a 4th instar I diabolica nymph catches a bluebottle which takes it of its feet at first.

IMG_9873_edited.jpg

IMG_9876_edited.jpg

IMG_9877_edited.jpg

IMG_9879_edited.jpg

IMG_9886_edited.jpg

IMG_9889_edited.jpg

A 4th instar catching a cockroach. Forgot to put my lens cap on and Consequently a bit dusty :blink:

IMG_9948_edited.jpg

IMG_9949_edited.jpg

IMG_9950_edited.jpg

IMG_9953_edited.jpg

IMG_9956_edited.jpg

IMG_9961_edited.jpg

Some random photos from this and last year.

Idiabolica1stinstar.jpg

Two first instar nymphs, a size comparison (dont worry no blood was spilt)

1stinstars.jpg

100_6940.jpg

100_9076.jpg

100_9983.jpg

Well its been a while and being spurred on by a few other posts i thought i'd bring it up todate, as they are now:

Cannablism:

IMG_0877_edited.jpg

sexing:

Idiabolicafemale6thinstarno2.jpg

Idiabolicafemale6thinstaranalplate2.jpg

Idiabolicamale6thinstar2.jpg

Idiabolicamale6thinstaranalplate2.jpg

Lobster lunch:

Lobsterthermal-door.jpg

No not nessasarily, as 1st through to about 5th instar they will happily feed on crawling insects like any other species of mantid, not sure exactly why this is, maybe because they are lower down in the vegatation where there are less flying quarry, hatch at a time/season where there are less flying insects or because of there smaller size, i dont know. As they get larger/older they prefer to take more and more flying insects as their special adaption suits but they are still not adversed to taking the odd crawler, especially if they are hungry :)

Sorry, cant help myself! I bought a rocket blower to help solve my sensor dust problem and had to try it out?

IMG_2925x.jpg

IMG_2921x.jpg

IMG_2908x.jpg

IMG_2906x.jpg

IMG_2885x.jpg

IMG_2884x.jpg

man.... those are so awesome i first gonna experience myself on flower and cryptyc mantids( pseudocreobotra, gongylus gongylodes) and than getting those... could you post a pic of the enclosure you keeping them?

IMG_9197_edited.jpg

Ive since changed the screen netting on the front from this fruit fly proof netting to a coarser grade 2-3mm black net curtain material, idolomantis can get a better grip on it with out breaking their tarsal claws and therefore not slipping at the next molt. I've not lost one to a slip, although from one pic above you can see i came close, but not for that reason :)

Idolomantisenclosure.jpg