My pet Vinegaroon (Mastigoproctus giganteus)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosbyArt

Reaction score
My first giant Vinegaroon/whip scorpion/Thelyphonida or their scientific name Mastigoproctus giganteus arrived today in the mail, from Peter see the page here. :D

It of course arrived safely, and was up and running around it's habitat soon after. It's a bit on edge from shipping (understandably), and struck the squirting pose a few times when I got close adjusting it's habitat. I figured I'd have to give it a few days to relax before working on getting it hand tamed.

Currently it measures in a about 1" (2.5cm) body size, or about 3" (7.6cm) including it's whips and tail - so it's a bit over a 1/3 of it's adult size (2.75" (7cm) to 3" (7.6cm) body size). So it should be around for several years and was one of the things that drew me to the species as they live on average 4-7 years, with some claiming upwards of 10 years. Sadly that is one thing you will not hear with mantises.

I have it setup in a 14" (35.5cm) long x 10" (25cm) wide x 6" (15cm) high habitat (6" (15cm) above the 3" (7.6cm) to 4" (10cm) substrate I made it a bit hilly for decoration). With several rock hides and flat pieces of bark (most half buried), and enough room to do some burrowing. It also has a small water dish with a tiny amount of water, set below the substrate. I figured as it grows I will give it a larger habitat with 6" (15cm) of substrate or more for digging. The substrate is a mixture (with small pebbles) and holds together very well and doesn't collapse so there should be no problems there.

Below are a few shots of the current setup and my Vinegaroon. Thanks again Peter!
thumbup.gif

I have to be honest I have no idea why there are so many videos and photos of "Vinegaroons" online that are clearly not the correct species, even when using the scientific name - I'm talking about the mixed up Amblypygi sp. of course. Mastigoproctus has some big girth pincers (pedipalps) and a long single tail, and Amblypygi has gigantically long arms/legs with two small tails and even looks different on many other points (not to mention the spraying only done by the Mastigoproctus). To me the confusion is like someone calling a Koi (Nishikigoi) a Goldfish (Carassius auratus) and feeling blissful in their ignorance. I find it frustrating when looking online for their care or setup as few seem to know what they have - so how can you trust their advice. I know the species shared the same order Pedipalpi, but...  rant over. ;)

Also my wife allows me to keep my various jumping spiders (Salticidae), in particular the Phidippus sp., but says I can't have any spiders larger than that. Currently she doesn't know my Vinegaroon is a arachnid officially, and I won't be telling her anytime soon. :D

9-10-16.jpg

9-10-16-2.jpg

9-10-16-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I offered it a cricket earlier and nothing became of it. I looked in a bit later to find Gingy, as my wife named it (from Shrek - no idea why), had made cricket mush with it and was happily eating. :)

9-10-16-eatingcricket.jpg

Thats a splendid specimen. I got one from kitkat39 and I like it. They tend to be a little bit introverted but yeah. 
Thanks, yeah they are a bit strange. :) Nice, I knew kitkat39 had them at one point but didn't know he still had any. It tends to be a species that comes up only occasionally on the forum. So have you been sprayed by your Vinegaroon yet? Mine continues to strike a defensive pose, but is starting to finally warm up to the idea a bit. Thankfully though mine still hasn't sprayed, as I would imagine my wife would have a fit over the smell. :D

It does go on the defensive pose, its nothing unless you are very rough with him. I never been sprayed. I was a little scared I might of been, but I never was. 

It does go on the defensive pose, its nothing unless you are very rough with him. I never been sprayed. I was a little scared I might of been, but I never was. 
So far no spraying here either, but it has been rather busy digging tunnels and rooting around the habitat.

Such unique looking little animals. :)
That it is, and has been a interesting experience so far. I hope to add some new photos soon. :)

Hah, 4-10 years is nothing. Tarantulas can live close to 50 years.
That sounds almost like keeping a tortoise. It is though another excuse to try moving up to getting a T at some point. ;)

That sounds almost like keeping a tortoise. It is though another excuse to try moving up to getting a T at some point. ;)
If you can convince your wife I highly recommend you get a tarantula! I've only been keeping them for a little over a year and a half, but they have quickly become my favorite pets. They are so beautiful, and some of their behaviors can be fascinating to watch. :)

If you can convince your wife I highly recommend you get a tarantula! I've only been keeping them for a little over a year and a half, but they have quickly become my favorite pets. They are so beautiful, and some of their behaviors can be fascinating to watch. :)
I've done some looking at T species for beginner, such as Chromatapelma cyaneopubescens, Brachypelma Smithi, and Brachypelma albopilosum. Although, in all likelihood the Euathlus sp. red would be a great one as it isn't colossus in size, and would be a good one to start with especially breaking in with my wife. ;)

Such interesting little creatures.  Wait until it gets ready to molt.  It will blow up like a grape and stay buried for months at a time.  I'm waiting for a bunch of mine to start digging in soon.  

Such interesting little creatures.  Wait until it gets ready to molt.  It will blow up like a grape and stay buried for months at a time.  I'm waiting for a bunch of mine to start digging in soon.  
Best of luck with yours then. :) So far mine has been digging but not swelling up yet. I hope it chooses one of the hides near the habitat side when it does, so I can watch the process. :D

I've done some looking at T species for beginner, such as Chromatapelma cyaneopubescens, Brachypelma Smithi, and Brachypelma albopilosum. Although, in all likelihood the Euathlus sp. red would be a great one as it isn't colossus in size, and would be a good one to start with especially breaking in with my wife. ;)
C. cyaneopubescens are great for beginners because they're so easy to care for! Mine has been the easiest tarantula ever. She has always had a great appetite, has molted perfectly, and I find this species extremely beautiful. She does have an attitude, but that's to be expected. Euathlus sp Red are great too! Mine is still extremely tiny, but he/she eats well and has been pretty docile the few times I've had to handle him/her. They grow so very slowly, so it might be a good option for you to introduce your wife to tarantulas. It's hard to be afraid of a tarantula that can easily fit on a penny at nearly a year old. My little one was hatched in November of 2015 and is taking its time with growing. Before we got our spiders my husband had the biggest case of arachnophobia ever, but he has warmed up to them a lot and even considers them cute now. He still says no when I ask for an OBT though.  :lol:

Sorry to derail your thread, I just get so excited about tarantulas! :)  

C. cyaneopubescens are great for beginners because they're so easy to care for! Mine has been the easiest tarantula ever. She has always had a great appetite, has molted perfectly, and I find this species extremely beautiful. She does have an attitude, but that's to be expected. Euathlus sp Red are great too! Mine is still extremely tiny, but he/she eats well and has been pretty docile the few times I've had to handle him/her. They grow so very slowly, so it might be a good option for you to introduce your wife to tarantulas. It's hard to be afraid of a tarantula that can easily fit on a penny at nearly a year old. My little one was hatched in November of 2015 and is taking its time with growing. Before we got our spiders my husband had the biggest case of arachnophobia ever, but he has warmed up to them a lot and even considers them cute now. He still says no when I ask for an OBT though.  :lol:

Sorry to derail your thread, I just get so excited about tarantulas! :)  
Alright thanks for the response, I'll have to see about getting one I listed then in the future. ;)

I had to look up the Orange Bitey Thing haha, it seems to have one of the worst bites of a T and attacks rather than even offer a threat pose before it does. Feel free to get one, but that is one I'll never bother with. :D Ah, we get off topic a lot around here and is just par for the course, especially as I showed interest in them too. :)

I had to look up the Orange Bitey Thing haha, it seems to have one of the worst bites of a T and attacks rather than even offer a threat pose before it does. Feel free to get one, but that is one I'll never bother with. :D  
Haha, I understand! They're just a dream tarantula for me right now, hubby has firmly told me no. I don't blame him, they are intimidating for sure! 

Very nice M.giganteus and enclosure! :)

I got a pair of these from Peter as well, I've tried mating them3 times( not sure if any of the attempts were successful) and now I'm waiting to see if the female will construct a birthing chamber.  Would be really nice to get some hatchlings of this awesome arachnid! 

Hope yours does good!

Haha, I understand! They're just a dream tarantula for me right now, hubby has firmly told me no. I don't blame him, they are intimidating for sure! 
I gotta admit though at one point I wouldn't consider anything I couldn't pet or hold, but even that seems to have merit - as somethings are great just to have. It would be a interesting pet for sure, hopefully you get one. :)

Very nice M.giganteus and enclosure! :)

I got a pair of these from Peter as well, I've tried mating them3 times( not sure if any of the attempts were successful) and now I'm waiting to see if the female will construct a birthing chamber.  Would be really nice to get some hatchlings of this awesome arachnid! 

Hope yours does good!
Thanks, he seems to enjoy it. :) I just wish it was a bit taller for crickets and such couldn't escape, when I add them, so easily.

Nice to hear, I will you well with your attempts! That would be awesome to see some newly hatched ones. :D

Latest posts