Why Do Mantis Eyes Turn Black At Night?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twentyeggs

Reaction score
Hello, I have scoured Google and I cannot find the answer. All I get are responses like, their eyes don’t turn black, they turn dark when they are dehydrated, and jokes about night vision. 

I don’t know about all Mantis species but I have been keeping the ones in North America my entire life. They absolutely without fail turn dark to pitch black when they are without light for more than a few hours. 

So the question is why, and how do they do this? 

Those are what we call "night eyes" or as I like to call them "puppy dog eyes".

It happens at night, don't ask me why, all I know is that there eyes change colors depending on the time of day.

Night eyes probably help them see in the dark I dunno.

Mantids are pretty wonky, they keep ya on ur toes.

Yeah, I find it interesting this is not a commonly found answer. These are extremely common insects and usually a favorite/at least interesting species among entomologists. 

Human eyes look black as the pupil grows to let in more light. I’m looking for a reason like that. There has to be a reason.

They darken at night as a part of a process that helps them see better at night. It does let more light in I believe. 

As said above. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it could be to do with increasing absorption of light; just as our pupils get bigger to absorb more light and therefore see better, a mantids eyes likely darken to achieve the same thing. Given a mantid's visual acuity is their primary mode of offence and defence, it seems likely that mantids with the ability to see better at night would do better in evolutionary terms.

Latest posts