Blue Bottle with Stunted Wings

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PragmaticHominid

Reaction score
I've got some blue bottles hatching out, and last night I noticed that one of them looks odd. Her wings are very small and sort of crinkled. Additionally, the fly is less robust than the others. I can take a photo later this week, if anyone wants to see.

I'm assuming that she has a genetic defect similar to flightless fruit flies? Is this a common mutation in blue bottles? I have no idea if this is a 1-in-100 or 1-in-10,000 thing.

Well, I don't know if this is actually rare, but if anyone who cultures blue bottles wants her I can send her your way. Maybe you can get some flightless bbs going, and make everyone's lives easier. ^^

Hello, from your description, This seems normal ,when pupa is old and or temp is to hot when they hatch ,they tend to have crickled wings and arent as active and cannot fly,this is a common occurence in captive bb

That's a kind offer! This is a very common occurrence, though, and appears to be environmental rather than genetic. You can induce this form, if you are looking for flightless BBs, by placing the pupae in a container where the emerging fly cannot fully extend its wings. They will dry out in the "crumpled" shape.

There has been a strain of flightless house flies, as Orin reminded a while back, but the flies were not very fecund and it looks as though the strain fell victim to genetic drift, as do almost all mutations that are not beneficial to the organism. At least, I no longer see them for sale either here or in England

Ah, okay. I wondered if it might be environmental, but I could figure out what could have caused it.

Thanks for the bio lesson, guys. ^^

Is environmental. I've had whole batches come out like that with very few with perfect wings.

Latest posts