Have you guys ever been in awe of your mantids?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeatzee

Reaction score
Just curious :)

I just let out my three remaining adult gongylus males from their net cage, and man they are awe-inspiringly beautiful! I need to take my mantids out of their cages more often, as they just look so much better when not viewed through a plastic/glass wall. I mean yes, they don't have the crazy colors, but they honestly don't need it. Everything about them is incredible to me. Also, in taking them out you learn the slight differences. For example, I have one that will fly on my hand anytime anywhere as long as its about 6+ inches away from its current position. The others refuse to fly, no matter what. Than I have one that plays dead exactly like a phyllocrania paradoxa... Out of my original 11 this is the only one that would do this.

I could say the same about the P. Wahlbegii's. Those colors and patterns were out of this world. Their aggressive attitude considering their size was just icing on the cake. I could go on and on about other species :)

So I know we become "desensitized" because we see them everyday, but I encourage you guys to take them out individually and really study them up close and personal and post your findings :)

Just curious :)

I just let out my three remaining adult gongylus males from their net cage, and man they are awe-inspiringly beautiful! I need to take my mantids out of their cages more often, as they just look so much better when not viewed through a plastic/glass wall. I mean yes, they don't have the crazy colors, but they honestly don't need it. Everything about them is incredible to me. Also, in taking them out you learn the slight differences. For example, I have one that will fly on my hand anytime anywhere as long as its about 6+ inches away from its current position. The others refuse to fly, no matter what. Than I have one that plays dead exactly like a phyllocrania paradoxa... Out of my original 11 this is the only one that would do this.

I could say the same about the P. Wahlbegii's. Those colors and patterns were out of this world. Their aggressive attitude considering their size was just icing on the cake. I could go on and on about other species :)

So I know we become "desensitized" because we see them everyday, but I encourage you guys to take them out individually and really study them up close and personal and post your findings :)
I know what you mean!! I will have one out and all of a sudden they NOTICE YOU... and you get this, this... "ninja" pose! And it's so funny!! And I cannot get over how small and perfect and Aware they are.

I have become very desensitized to them. However, when I get something I have never kept or kept only once I do feel that way again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Keri said it all! haha

I love that when they just whip their head around and stare at you straight in the eyes! :lol: Kinda creepy actually!

I guess I feel the same way Yatzee, I complain to hubby a lot that I don't get to play with them, and he says I need to take the time, I am always so busy, but I do love watching them an the way they look.
wink.gif

I cycle my mantises. One day I'll have Nereid out, another Dio, another Kit, etc. Chloë is one of my favorites to have on my hand because she is so still and sweet. I love the expressions P. wahlbergii make, especially Capri and the three new ones (One received the name Dulcinea after the Toad the Wet Sprocket album), they'll be all cute and still, but if I get my finger near them they'll spread out their arms and fold back their antennae and shake their butt. They are so cuuuuute!

At feeding time is when I take the time to observe all of the mantises. I do so not only out of fascination but for their sake, last night Tao (Rhombodera sp.) did not eat, so I removed all fruit flies from his enclosure, sure enough he molted today. Last night when I fed Te (also Rhombodera), I put a cricket and he pounced right on it! It was the coolest thing I saw!

Today I had Dio out in the living room while NCIS and on three occasions he jump-flied toward the TV. It's dark out there as well, but it was neat to see this new and interesting behavior that I have not observed in Hierodula before.

I even take the time to observe crickets and their quirky ways sometimes.

Latest posts