My Cultivation Station

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itzjustjeff

Reaction score
So I got my Mantids from Trans-Am last Friday and am all setup now. I have...

3x Creobroter Pictipennis

2x Pyllocrania Paradoxa

3x Sphodromantis sp. "Blue Flash"

I also started an immersed project for the terrarium. I figure live plants with keep the feeder insects happy and maintain moisture better -- all the while it'll be more aesthetically pleasing. Here are some pics:

**I don't have the greatest camera but I work with what I've got

091439.jpg

One of my Creos (L2)

092432.jpg

Ghost (L1)

093236.jpg

Sphodro (L2)

094843.jpg

094923.jpg

The Hemianthus Callitrichoides (Dwarf Baby Tears) will eventually carpet the front part, making it dense enough that crickets wont be able to hide in. The back plant is Staurogyne Repens (Tropica 049) which will eventually cover the wall behind the tree and make some shrubbery coverage at the trunk base. What do you guys think?!

I think it looks great, but it may be a pain to clean, other than that, you seem to be to a good start.

Nice! Is that a nano? Post update photos as the plants grow in. You may get away allowing waste to decay into the soil.

Wouldn't hurt to add a little something for them to climb on the sides. Otherwise you'll see a lot of energy put into clawing at the sides.

Agreed, try some plastic mesh or whatever hot glued tot he insides. Yea Prec, it looks to be the same setup I have(nano 8x8x12").

Add woodlice or springtails to the substrate to clean up the waste and you're set. I've got some 12x12x18 tanks like that I'm working on for orchids and spiny flowers and acanthops

I think it looks great, but it may be a pain to clean, other than that, you seem to be to a good start.
By cleaning do you mean just the poop? I was wondering if I could get away with not cleaning that..maybe keeping it as fertilizer? haha

Nice! Is that a nano? Post update photos as the plants grow in. You may get away allowing waste to decay into the soil.

Wouldn't hurt to add a little something for them to climb on the sides. Otherwise you'll see a lot of energy put into clawing at the sides.
Yeap nano! I'll post weekly updates I was thinking of either putting in bamboo sticks on the sides or growing small pieces of scottish moss

Add woodlice or springtails to the substrate to clean up the waste and you're set. I've got some 12x12x18 tanks like that I'm working on for orchids and spiny flowers and acanthops
Where can I get some of those? Would my plants be able to act as a natural substrate cleanser?

Your nano looks so much like mine, but mine doesnt have the live plants.
I want to see pics!

Bugs in cyberspace sells them. They eat poop and other debris. We do this a lot in frog tanks to act as cleanup crew

Last edited by a moderator:
My Nano has no background, with very similar twigs in it. I have no live plants. I do have fruit fly cultures going through the 3 holes at the top from a tube in the fruit fly culture. My ghost is in it! I woulds say yours is SO much better. What are going to put in there?

I'm planning on putting either my Creos in there or Ghosts. I still have a long time to decide though. By then everything will have grown in and...who knows. maybe I'll have more tanks :)

I can probably find these outside in the yard right? 50 seems like a lot for a nano
are you talking about spring tails? if so it is not that many considering they are about a 1/4 the size of a fruit fly!

Yes. For proper drainage. I made that mistake and found mold and a mushroom growing in it.

I just set up my first planted fish tank! im so pleased with it!

Latest posts