A prosthesis for an old female

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here it is my upgraded prosthesis

p1010006vg.jpg

p1010007dd.jpg

I think I like the first one, since it is not only natural, but also a very ingenious craftsmanship. The foil just looks a little bit too foreign on the raptorial.

Sorry for being a bit picky; both are great ideas and great looks.

I think I like the first one, since it is not only natural, but also a very ingenious craftsmanship. The foil just looks a little bit too foreign on the raptorial.

Sorry for being a bit picky; both are great ideas and great looks.
It's no problem. We all have an opinion but i didn't choose the aluminium for looks. I chose it because it is easier to work on and allowed me to make serrated teeth, which drastically improved the grip. Most of the other prosthesis surface was smooth and it was harder for the mantis to grab prey or move around.

Yesterday, the infected claw was cut at the elbow and it seems to have healed well. No signs of the infection advance. However the infection started at the other claw in the "wrist" area and it's advance is very rapid.

A pic of the new infection yesterday:

p1010010o.jpg

2 Pics of the infection today:

p1010020jz.jpg

p1010021ez.jpg

The infection is already causing problems and the claw open/close movements are very limited but still enough for the mantis to grab prey, not to hunt though.

I came up with an idea and I would like your opinion. I don't know if it was discussed before but here it goes:

Whatever the cause of the infection is, fungus or bacteria, removing the affected area seems to fix the problem. It looks logical and straight forward but leaving a large wound for more hazards to come in isn't that logical. But somehow the mantis almost always seems to heal the wound without any other problems. So I'm thinknig that the immune system of the mantis does not recognize the infection as a problem and doesn't react. However, after making a deep wound then the immune system will take action and create a wall against all hazards including the infecting bacteria/fungus, preventing it from progressing. (IN THEORY)

Here's the deal, what if i intentionally make some wounds around the newly infected area? It might stop the infection on their tracks, if my theory is right.

Opinions and critics are most welcome before I make any futile attempts on mutilating my female. I want to take care of this fast before the infection makes its way to the articulation.

gee I dont know, wether to call u "house" dr jeckel or hyde?
:D

That's a nice one. Well sometimes bad things can do some good. But for the time being I'm thinking and relying on your opinion if What i suggested can actually help

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion cutting off the infected limb would just be the best bet. I don't think creating more wounds is going to help any. I do believe they are aware of such infections. I have witnessed on several occassions mantids chewing off infected limbs. If i were you i would still try your theory out. Worst case scenario you could still chop the arm off if it continues to spread.

Well, the protesis is just stunnung, I've never imagined something like that. Congrats :punk:

Ok, I'll try to express myself correctly...lol I've heard this things of making wounds around a wound by a friends who raises geckos but the experience was bad, all the wounds get infected, badly, it was worse than the inital wound. A gecko is not a mantis, maybe the result will be different, I don't know... Have you tried to "dig" the wound ? Hum... Hard to express... You dig the wound with a scalpel (medical knife ?) until all the infected tissue is off, then you "burn" (cauterize ?) with something hot to kill all the left bacterias ? I personally tried that on a fish, it works. But a fish is not a mantis...

Don't know how to help, sorry :(

Perhaps when you are forced to amputate the other raptorial, you can give her a sort of sharp, outward-pointing spike that she can impale her food on? Just don't make her angry or she might stab you! :eek:

Well, the protesis is just stunnung, I've never imagined something like that. Congrats :punk:

Ok, I'll try to express myself correctly...lol I've heard this things of making wounds around a wound by a friends who raises geckos but the experience was bad, all the wounds get infected, badly, it was worse than the inital wound. A gecko is not a mantis, maybe the result will be different, I don't know... Have you tried to "dig" the wound ? Hum... Hard to express... You dig the wound with a scalpel (medical knife ?) until all the infected tissue is off, then you "burn" (cauterize ?) with something hot to kill all the left bacterias ? I personally tried that on a fish, it works. But a fish is not a mantis...

Don't know how to help, sorry :(
It's true that there's no 100% guarantee of avoiding infections but unlike most fish and reptiles, insects are used to losing legs and have adapted to that by using an efficient immune system. Removing a leg of a bug is no big deal and it heals fast but if it happens to a gecko? Well, that might not be so good.

Ismart has a point as well, if the infection isn't stopped with my experiment, cutting off the claw resolves it. Better try it than doing nothing at all i guess.

Perhaps when you are forced to amputate the other raptorial, you can give her a sort of sharp, outward-pointing spike that she can impale her food on? Just don't make her angry or she might stab you! :eek:
They cannot impale prey on their own, specially when prey tend to have tough shells, but it's possible if i give a hand.

That's actually an interesting idea but it becomes tricky to do it when there's nothing more than the elbow to attach that kind of prosthesis

Last edited by a moderator:
It's true that there's no 100% guarantee of avoiding infections but unlike most fish and reptiles, insects are used to losing legs and have adapted to that by using an efficient immune system. Removing a leg of a bug is no big deal and it heals fast but if it happens to a gecko? Well, that might not be so good.

Ismart has a point as well, if the infection isn't stopped with my experiment, cutting off the claw resolves it. Better try it than doing nothing at all i guess.
It is not the subject here but just to say, cutting a Betta splendens rotten fins works very well too ;)

That is incredible. You should put rhinestones on it for some bling effect.

I've seen my mantids impale feeders before on a couple of occasions.

The amount of pressure I have to apply to puncture that claw is enormous. I'm afraid that if I went on with this I would pierce the claw from one side to the other and destroy it. So I think I'll let the claw be as long as it is still functional. The infection seems to have slowed down too.

Latest posts