Acontista sp.?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsorigami

Reaction score
Hi,

I found this species of (I believe some sort of Acontista) mantis in Jacksonville FL, just last month in December.

Note the first two photos you can see the raptorial arms go in and out, as well as the spikes, so it is notable that it is a mantis, and not an ant (even though it's mimicking Formicidae ants). The issue, I don't know what species of Acontista it is (if it's for sure Acontista). I have more photos if anyone requests to identify.

It was found crawling on a Ping pong table near a dry forest with palms and oaks. Any help is appreciated. Thanks so much.

Jake

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I think it may be an ant because of the head shape

Last edited by a moderator:
Possibly, but some ant mimicking mantises do have ant-shaped heads. It also cleaned it's raptorials (assuming mantis) while I was watching.

Hmm... it does not look like a mantis. Do you have any better pictures? Like a picture of the front part of the head?

It's Pseudomyrmex gracilis, type of wasp like ant or twig ant. Be careful it has powerful sting.
Pictures of that species sure seem to match.

I thought with a banded abdomen it was some type of wasp, but as I have no idea what it is didn't bother to post. ;)

Latest posts